Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > need instructions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default need instructions

I own a small fish pond and around a dozen herons have nested in the forest near it. and every day they land on the banks of the pond (usually on the far side) and eat my fish. I tried scaring them away but as soon as I go in the house they come back. so what i'm asking is what kind of weapon(rifle) do I purchase that can kill them. distance is about 150 meters (500 feet).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker88
I own a small fish pond and around a dozen herons have nested in the forest near it. and every day they land on the banks of the pond (usually on the far side) and eat my fish. I tried scaring them away but as soon as I go in the house they come back. so what i'm asking is what kind of weapon(rifle) do I purchase that can kill them. distance is about 150 meters (500 feet).
22 mag with winchester super x 40 grain jhp work great. So do the 45 grain dynapoints. 223, 204 ruger, 17 hmr. All would work. Id go with the 22 mag(wmr) myself. Do us all a favor and swing by the intro section and tell us about yourself. Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Marlinman; 12-06-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #3

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

You do know that it would be illegal to kill them.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Sounds like those "artillery shell" fireworks could be a challenging deterrent at that range.

As was mentioned though, you might want to check with the fish & game people for your state, as some animals are protected. Maybe there is an exception for protecting your aquaculture crop if you ask. If they won't let you shoot them, maybe some kind of motion-activated animatronic coyote would be useful?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #5

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Why don't you just get a dog???...or bigger fish

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 12-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #6

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
You do know that it would be illegal to kill them.
Depends on the state but in MO it isnt if you let dnr know whats going on. If they want to relocate tgem they will. But herons-great blues in particular-usually return to where they were hatched as a general rule. Its what iv always heard. Same with killing cougars over your calves-they are destroying ypur property so you have the right to destroy them once dnr knows and says you can

Old 12-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1614 Times on 843 Posts
Likes Given: 1304

When we had the fish pond we had a hawk/osprey/eagle that would come by and take a salmon. We didn’t mind that. The Herons however would stab a fish, take a one bite, then stab another, take a one bite, stab another, take a bite, etc. We’d find dozens of dead salmon with one hole in them floating on the pond.

After a number of unsuccessful attempts to discourage them we finally found this to work.

We set up a TV facing out the side door of a VW camper parked next to the pond on the bank. We left the engine running and the TV on all night. The Herons saw the changing light & ‘shadows’ cast by the TV and stayed away.

A dog that likes to swim (Labrador?) is also a good idea.

Last edited by Vincine; 12-07-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8414 Times on 3647 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

The TV only worked because you had "The View" on. Not even herons can stand that.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-07-2011, 02:04 AM   #9

Liked 666 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 46

They'll be okay. They wont eat that much.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #10

Tnx for all suggestion. since I didn't do the intro (didn't know how), I should have mentioned I am not from USA. I am from a little country in the Balkan called Bosnia. no quality hunting and weapons forums here so I tried this one.
- So that winchester shells mr. Marlinman i cannot find here(think more russian) and I am not a very good shooter so something precise.
- we don't have protected species in my country. Funny but true.
One more thing i am not rich(actually I make ends meet) so think cheep.
- have 2 dogs and they don't wanna go in the water, and a labrador is rare here(and expensive)
- TV is good idea but i don't have camper and house is about 100 meters(330 feet) and the pests at during the day to and as you said they just kill and go to the next fish.

I can use a AK 47 or a PAP 7,62 m59/66 but as I said I am not a good shooter and there are houses and people around me so I could kill someone. Even if I shot it the bullet would probably passed through the heron and with my luck end up killing someone.