Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > need help deciding the cartrige for my next rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

actually ive previously owned a mosin nagant, 8mm mauser, and a couple of other older war rifles the only problem with those was mainly the bore erosion threw off accuracy to a slight extent(very slight) sometimes i wish i still had them but im lookin to sell off most of my mini arsenal to work down to 3 or four weapons that i trust will maintain accuracy for years to come

Old 09-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #32

I have a 223 Savage with a 1:9 twist and listening to a friend bought 45 gr. shoot bad at 100 yds I'm lucky to 1 1/2" , I'll try 55 gr.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:08 AM   #33

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonManklow View Post
I have a 223 Savage with a 1:9 twist and listening to a friend bought 45 gr. shoot bad at 100 yds I'm lucky to 1 1/2" , I'll try 55 gr.
Ron, 45 gr. is better suited for a 1:12 twist. Your 1:9 should like 55-62 gr. just fine.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:56 AM   #34

well yall due to a lot of the information given i ordered my new rifle today ended up going with a savage model 12fvss, which is a .223 caliber with a stainless free floated heavy fluted barrel 1:9 twist, also dual pillar bedding and an accutrigger it comes in on monday, and btw with all of the people ive talked to i agree 45 gr. is way too small of a round for a 1:9 i would recommend 55-62 gr. bullets but really its just finding out what your barrel likes

Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #35

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Great choice!

And enjoy! (I made a slight typo) in my last post about my .30/30, as it is a
1894 "model", manufactured in 1979! I purchased 2 of them back then, (one
for me & one for Pop) as a Christmas present to "motivate him to give deer
hunting another chance" as he lost interest after being shot at by a pair of
bozos in the 1960,s & after "trimming a few tree branches above their heads"
quit hunting. After my first 6 point buck, (not counting brow tines) in 1980,
we have been hunting big game ever since! (It's how we spend our vacation
time)!

Old 09-23-2010, 02:54 AM   #36

ive had that experience with a trespassing hunter i just made 7 shot rain on his head with a semi auto 12 after two (guessing by the sound and impact) 30-06 rounds one by my feet and one to a tree 3 foot away! came whizzing in by me i was 50 yards from my house too!! i just turned the barrel up and let 6 go in the direction of the gunshots it was at such an angle it wouldnt of hurt anyone but let it be known that im not a deer haha, i mean seriously if you are going to hunt atleast do it in a sane manner and not with a semi auto high power rifle and brush firing because you see motion i could have been killed

Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #37

I have the same Savage 223 I really like it.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #38

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinhick View Post
ive had that experience with a trespassing hunter i just made 7 shot rain on his head with a semi auto 12 after two (guessing by the sound and impact) 30-06 rounds one by my feet and one to a tree 3 foot away! came whizzing in by me i was 50 yards from my house too!! i just turned the barrel up and let 6 go in the direction of the gunshots it was at such an angle it wouldnt of hurt anyone but let it be known that im not a deer haha, i mean seriously if you are going to hunt atleast do it in a sane manner and not with a semi auto high power rifle and brush firing because you see motion i could have been killed
Wow, that was close!

Old 09-26-2010, 04:51 AM   #39

(i know it was a very adrenaline packed walk to the shed haha) but on another awesome note my rifle arrived two days earlier than planned!!! had to go to work so didnt have time to sight er in but i dropped my glass on it and it looks very nice, and as soon as i figure out how to post pics i will be updating everyone the stock is (slightly) flimsy but its free floated over 1/8 of an inch!! i tried bending the stock to touch the barrel (not happening) accutrigger is AMAZING and the rifle is HUGE i mean a customer at the gunshop told me he liked how my 12 gauge looked XD i blew his mind when i told him it was a rifle he hasek if it was a freaking 50 cal, so far i love it thank you so much everyone for steering me in the right direction on the rifle i went from gettin a .204 ruger, remington model 700 to this amazing savage granted the rem is a little higher end i love my savage XD

Old 09-26-2010, 05:24 AM   #40

Default 7.62x54r

When I go to the range and i order a box of 7.62x54r the guys raise eyebrows and look at each other.

The military surplus cartridge will go thru a motor block, no questions asked, a bit too heavy for a deer I think, a little on the heavy side compared with the .223, won't go very far, but in the 200-300 range its amongst the best

Some candy, a few glow-on dots amongst some 762x54r rounds

Yeah, I know, I can't help it guys, my blood glows in the dark

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display