Need advise on factory 44 mag ammo for black bear - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Need advise on factory 44 mag ammo for black bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would recommend Garrett Cartridges, Garrett Cartridges Inc. 44 mag .45-70 .44 ammo ammunition bullets african hunting cartridges

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-15-2011, 01:08 AM   #12

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Black bear in the US are not big animals for the most part. Most of them are not much bigger than a hog of the same weight. They appear big because of the hair, but they are thin skinned and not hard to kill.

I hunt with a .45 Colt, but If I were to go to the .44, I would use essentially the same load of a medium hot load with a 260 gr hard cast Kieth SWC. It will shoot into the vitals of, and through most bears.

I would never, ever shoot at an elk at 250 yards with a handgun. At 50 yards, I would feel confident that my loads of 10 gr of Unique under that 260 would anchor that elk. At 50 yards this load will enter and exit lengthwise, a good big Muley buck. I have killed a lot of deer with this load, and have yet to recover a bullet.

I spent many years logging in New Mexico and have been around a lot of bears. At the first whiff of a human, most bears will be heading out the other way just as fast as they can go. I only shot one bear in all those years~~I woke up one night to find one had stuck his head inside the flap of my tent and was looking around. I eased my .45 up to his head and dropped him right there, a record setting 1-1/2" shot. Unless you get between a sow and her cubs, you will not see a bear stand its ground.

Grizzly is a different critter. I would not go into griz country with less than a 12 ga with slugs.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:48 AM   #13
Dtm

Up here on my property in Canada we have a ongoing black bear problem, and I hunt em in the fall. My choice around the cabin and in the tree stand at less than 50 yards is the hornady 225 gr Ftx lever evolution. 225 is plenty of weight for a blackie and the ballistics / accuracy of the hornady Ftx are noticeably superior to flat nosed rounds. I shoot a 1963 Ruger deeds Ayer with the tubular mag and a newer Ruger 77 bolt action both is .44 for blackies. Shoot em properly is the key, the biggest hardest bullet doesn't matter if you miss the vitals.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hey! make it INTERESTING a .22 and a mig KNIFE