Need advice?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Need advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 02:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Need advice?

I have hunted deer in south Texas for the past 10 years, i have always used 150 grain soft point reloads that i make. My question is if i were to use 125 grain soft points will this be good enough to take down a 8-10 point buck?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #2

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

If you put them in the right spot the deer won't care if it was a 125 or a 220 grain. Dead is still dead. The only thing you might have to concern yourself with is make sure they are big game bullets. If they are made for prairie dogs and such, the bullets won't hold together in big game(like deer). Also some rifles don't like to shoot light bullets very accurately. So if they are designed for big game and your rifle shoots them good then I would say you got a winning combination.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:00 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I try everything out at the range before I take it out in the field, I took my first deer with an old lever action shootin 45 long colt. One shot down, really depends on how good you are with the rifle. I shot mine in the head from roughly 40 yards, not once in 8 years have I taken a deer for a trophy I only care about the meat.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8870 Times on 3842 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

125 grain WHAT??? C'mon, bud- y'all gonna make us drag the info outa ya?

.38 Special? No. .270? Hell yeah! I would run some accuracy tests- depending on caliber, that will be a much shorter bullet- make sure your rifle likes it.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
125 grain WHAT??? C'mon, bud- y'all gonna make us drag the info outa ya?

.38 Special? No. .270? Hell yeah! I would run some accuracy tests- depending on caliber, that will be a much shorter bullet- make sure your rifle likes it.
anything is possible, then again some people think that a 223 is too small of a round to take deer with. Personally I think that if it has the power to take down a man it can take down a deer, just depends where you put the shot.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
anything is possible, then again some people think that a 223 is too small of a round to take deer with. Personally I think that if it has the power to take down a man it can take down a deer, just depends where you put the shot.
Except the 5.56 isn't intended to take down one man. It's intended to wound one man and have two men taken out of battle to get the wounded soldier back to med help.

The 5.56 shouldn't be thought of as having stopping power, it is a force multiplier that has combat interrupting power.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #7

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It depends on your accuracy. Placement over power. If you can get a .22 into the deer's heart, it'll kill it just as dead as a .50 to the flank.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 05-26-2011, 02:52 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
its a common myth that deer and people are the same. deer are far sturdier and their critical parts are buried much deeper than a human. people keel over much faster from much smaller wounds than wild animals.

the 5.56 55grn fmj is a proven manstopper. but that doesnt mean its a good ethical hunting round.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #9

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Not sure how the .223 came up in this thread. But, I would not use one for Whitetail.
As C3 stated, 125gr ???. One thing to keep in mind, is the bullet constructed correctly for the job?
I shoot .308 150gr sp for whitetail, and also shoot 120gr, but those are varmint bullets. Not designed for medium game.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the 5.56 55grn fmj is a proven manstopper. but that doesnt mean its a good ethical hunting round.
Don't most states that allow high power rifles for deer have a minimum caliber you can use? I thought most states were .243's...could be wrong.

Luke 22:36 - He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.