Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Need advice? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/need-advice-42963/)

ANAKINANAYA 05-25-2011 03:31 AM

Need advice?

I have hunted deer in south Texas for the past 10 years, i have always used 150 grain soft point reloads that i make. My question is if i were to use 125 grain soft points will this be good enough to take down a 8-10 point buck?

hiwall 05-25-2011 03:44 AM

If you put them in the right spot the deer won't care if it was a 125 or a 220 grain. Dead is still dead. The only thing you might have to concern yourself with is make sure they are big game bullets. If they are made for prairie dogs and such, the bullets won't hold together in big game(like deer). Also some rifles don't like to shoot light bullets very accurately. So if they are designed for big game and your rifle shoots them good then I would say you got a winning combination.

wmille01 05-25-2011 04:00 AM

I try everything out at the range before I take it out in the field, I took my first deer with an old lever action shootin 45 long colt. One shot down, really depends on how good you are with the rifle. I shot mine in the head from roughly 40 yards, not once in 8 years have I taken a deer for a trophy I only care about the meat.

c3shooter 05-25-2011 06:40 AM

125 grain WHAT??? C'mon, bud- y'all gonna make us drag the info outa ya?

.38 Special? No. .270? Hell yeah! I would run some accuracy tests- depending on caliber, that will be a much shorter bullet- make sure your rifle likes it.

wmille01 05-25-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 511410)
125 grain WHAT??? C'mon, bud- y'all gonna make us drag the info outa ya?

.38 Special? No. .270? Hell yeah! I would run some accuracy tests- depending on caliber, that will be a much shorter bullet- make sure your rifle likes it.

anything is possible, then again some people think that a 223 is too small of a round to take deer with. Personally I think that if it has the power to take down a man it can take down a deer, just depends where you put the shot.

canebrake 05-25-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmille01 (Post 511672)
anything is possible, then again some people think that a 223 is too small of a round to take deer with. Personally I think that if it has the power to take down a man it can take down a deer, just depends where you put the shot.

Except the 5.56 isn't intended to take down one man. It's intended to wound one man and have two men taken out of battle to get the wounded soldier back to med help.

The 5.56 shouldn't be thought of as having stopping power, it is a force multiplier that has combat interrupting power.

Ploofy 05-26-2011 01:19 AM

It depends on your accuracy. Placement over power. If you can get a .22 into the deer's heart, it'll kill it just as dead as a .50 to the flank.

JonM 05-26-2011 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmille01 (Post 511672)

its a common myth that deer and people are the same. deer are far sturdier and their critical parts are buried much deeper than a human. people keel over much faster from much smaller wounds than wild animals.

the 5.56 55grn fmj is a proven manstopper. but that doesnt mean its a good ethical hunting round.

jpattersonnh 05-26-2011 12:16 PM

Not sure how the .223 came up in this thread. But, I would not use one for Whitetail.
As C3 stated, 125gr ???. One thing to keep in mind, is the bullet constructed correctly for the job?
I shoot .308 150gr sp for whitetail, and also shoot 120gr, but those are varmint bullets. Not designed for medium game.

Boggy5 05-27-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 512032)
the 5.56 55grn fmj is a proven manstopper. but that doesnt mean its a good ethical hunting round.

Don't most states that allow high power rifles for deer have a minimum caliber you can use? I thought most states were .243's...could be wrong.