My week in the Northern Territory on a cull hunt - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

My week in the Northern Territory on a cull hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 01:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 537 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 34

And for any of you out there that think we Aussies don't do things big have a go at 1 of our roadtrains that are a common scene in the Northern Territory,Western Queensland,South Australia and Western Australia.These are 53 metres in length and are generally powered by a 650+ hp engine and are also used to cart fuel,general freight,frozen produce and heavy machinery.
dscf0554.jpg   dscf0415.jpg  

Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #12

Here's a couple of pigs heads taken from a stand
dscf0511.jpg   dscf0508.jpg   dscf0521.jpg  

Old 07-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #13

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great stuff there hairbear! My week in the Northern Territory on a cull hunt - Hunting Forum

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #14

Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

Great pictures Hairbear.

Looks like all of you had a great hunt,and memories to boot!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #15

Here's a bit of the hunt from day 4,

Just to get back on track with this ,there was a afternoon, evening where I was dropped off at a bait station with my rifle,some water, a torch and a can of mozzie repellant (RID it's called and works real well) and it was set up over a couple of donkey and horse carcasses that were to say the least all but ready to get up and walk away by themselves.

I climbed up into the stand and set myself up in the late afternoon light and waited for something to happen.
After a 1/2 hr or so a black boar wandered out from the scrub and headed towards the baits and on his way in stopped,sniffed the air and then proceeded to rub his bum on a log and walk towards the baits again.

About 5 yds of the baits it stops again and starts to eat something on the ground and it sounded like Homer Simpson in a feeding frenzy.

Well he finished that and took a couple more steps to the baits and was about to start eating when at a range of about 5 yds from the stand I drove a 165gn Game King into him and he dropped on the spot.

He was in good shape and had a good set of hooks on him so I dragged him away from the baits and got back up in the stand and waited for something else to come in.

About 45 minutes later another boar,bigger than the 1st came in from the same spot and he almost followed the same path as the 1st and did the same thing as in rubbing his bum on the same log and then stepped forward to a small sapling and rubbed his face on it and then gave it a real towelling with it's hooks.

He then started to walk towards the boar I'd just shot and I started to worry a bit as if he got a sight of the dead boar he may decide to leave real quick and as I couldn't bring the rifle to bear properly because he was on my right side 1 o'clock it would've meant making a bit of noise to move for a clear shot.

At the last moment he veered towards the baits and as he stopped he sniffed the air and as he lent forward to start feeding I drove a shot through his left shoulder down into his chest to which he then spun around and headed straight at the stand and as he passed under me I aimed the rifle bashcally free hand straight down at him and let another round go straight down thru his back which made him do a big power slide and he landed right next to the 1st boar I'd dropped and dragged off to the side,talk about whack,pack and stack.

I didn't get down but stayed up in the stand feeling real happy about how things were turning out.

Now it was dark and the moon was rising and there was a bit of natural light about so sitting there I was thinking about when the guide would be back to pick me up when I could hear a noise on the baits as something was tearing into it.
I slowly picked up the torch and rifle and at the instant I turned the torch on a wild dog stood in the light with a look of "Oh ****! this ain't going to be good!" look on it's face.

I couldn't stop s******ing and let him go as I didn't want to ruin the chance of scaring any pigs off in the area so I let him go and turned the light off and waited.

10 minutes passed and then the sound of something into the baits again had me lookingand not seeing anything I had a look through the 'scope in the moonlight and the wild dog was back again but very edgy.
"RIGHT,thats it I thought and as I started to take up pressure on the Timney trigger a low grunting sound a bit further out had me looking through the 'scope a bit further out and a dark shape in the ''scope turned out to be pig no.3 walking in to a easy feed or so he thought.

The dog was still hacking into the carcass and I put the scope on the pigs chest area and at the sound of the blast the 'scope was filled with a bright orange flame and also the sound of the dog yelping it's way off into the scrub like the space shuttle taking off.
Pig no.3 was laying next to the carcass dead as the pill had gone down the length of it's body through it's chest area.
And that was that as not long after that the guide turned up and after looking at the 3 pigs decided that 2 of them had good sets of hooks and cut the heads off and we took them back to camp to boil the tusks off.
dscf0511.jpg   dscf0521.jpg