My first deer - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > My first deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I see a lot of 1st. My family owns a few deer processing plants and have seen kids that are 7 with a first and kids that are 70 with a first. It is never too late to start hunting. My son is 14 and got his first last year. I usually harvest under 10 each year-no limit on bucks in SC. Well, congrats and you are now hooked. There is no other feeling than buck fever.

Sent from my LS670 using FirearmsTalk

Old 11-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #22
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Most States have both sex or either sex seasons for deer depending on herd population density and the predicted amount of winter feed that will be available.

It was intended to be a joke.

I need to take someone hunting who has a license and tag on years when I don't.....It's the only time I see game!! Unless I'm in the field without a gun or the season is closed. Then they feed in my front yard, knock on the door selling last years shed antlers and boxes of little chocolate candies!!
Sorry bro...i am a hardcore hunter/outdoorsman/conservationist and i get irked with people and how they are all hung up on horns.

After 30+ years in the field and understanding how difficult taking a deer can be, i believe that ANY legally harvested deer is a trophy. I have also learned that those 2 1/2 Y/O doe (like the one pictured) are the tenderest, tastiest eating to be had in the wild!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #23

Nice doe.

I have harvested a doe with my longbow, a doe with my muzzle-loader and a buck with my 12 gauge. I kept the smallest and donated to the food bank the other 2.
Dave

Old 11-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #24

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I usually buy 2 archery tags which lets me shoot 4 deer up to 2 bucks , I have yet to take a buck this season , I have taken my 2 does so far but Im picky when it comes to a buck I would like to keep big bucks in my woods and if I shoot all the small ones I will never have biggins so I try to harvest a mature buck . Antlers are just antlers , yeah its nice to shoot a monster and I have ,but its not a necessity for me either . I got 4 mouths to feed