Muzzle loader for coyotes?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Muzzle loader for coyotes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Muzzle loader for coyotes?

Any reason I shouldn't use my 50 cal ML on coyotes>
I use 295 grain bullet with 2 triple seven pellets for deer but would use 240 or 270 grain bullet out to 150 yards

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey, if you have your black powder gun figured out, why not. At one time all game fell prey to BP or arrows. I admire anyone that is proficient with BP weapons. I have worked with a Knight inline off (mostly off) and on for the last ten years or so and have yet to master loads and groupings. Yote calling would be a hoot with a accurate BP. Myself, I would have to call Charlie in close enough, that I could club him with my Knight.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have a fancy ML just a .50 CVA Optima. But I can get groups touching at 50 yards, even when using 295 Powerbelts and 100 grains with Triple Seven
pellets. I will try 225 grain Powerbelts with 130 grains in pellets.
By the end of the summer I will probably graduate to Blackhorn 209 loose and maybe other bullets.

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I love my Knight. Extremely accurate and reliable. I use nothing heavier than 240 gr and 130 gr powder. If I were to hunt yotes with it, I would use 220 gr bullet and 130 gr powder. Any accurate inline should be good to 200 yds with that set-up, imo. I sight in at 1" high at 100 yds. If shooting to 200 yds, I expect 4-5" drop with that set-up. No reason to use 295 gr bullet for deer either. There is plenty of energy with a 240 gr bullet and 130 gr powder. Heck, I have dropped deer (big Southern Ohio deer) at 'bout 100 yds with 220 gr bullet and 100 gr powder. Go poly tipped expanding bullet, and it will bring 'em down.

Too many bp shooters think they need 300 gr bullets and 150 gr powder. Overkill!

Just my couple of pennies.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!