Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Moose Hunting Close Encounter (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/moose-hunting-close-encounter-11561/)

dnthmn2004 03-05-2009 12:12 PM

Moose Hunting Close Encounter

Oh... sh1t... Those guys did a great job keeping their composure.

orangello 03-05-2009 12:39 PM

LOL! Maybe the moose needed to pick something out of its teeth?
No video & not as funny, but i had a close encounter of the ungulate kind on the way to the Grand Canyon from Flagstaff, AZ. I had rented a convertable lebaron (it was 93) & was driving my sis to the Canyon so we could hang out & catch up on what she'd been doing at grad school. Being a MS native, i don't plan rest stops on highway trips, i pee behind the plentiful trees whenever i feel the need. There aren't many trees on the way to the canyon, so i had to wait (quite anxiously) for a rest stop. When we finally came to a rest area, i was walking fast for the door only to be disappointed by a "closed for maintenance" sign. I saw a line of cedar trees & headed for them at an even faster clip, seeking some free-flowing relief. After reaching the gravel road the trees lined, i proceeded to relieve my bladder; about halfway through, i heard a loud noise right behind me. Apparently a gigormous buck (toooo big for a whitetail, have no idear) was not pleased with me for watering his road & was snorting to alert me to this. I finished, left rapidly, & wished i had had a spare hand & a camera; biggest "deer" i've ever seen in person & it was laughing at me. :rolleyes:

ScottG 03-05-2009 05:10 PM

He was afraid you were after his does....... :p

Patrick Sperry 10-11-2009 08:23 PM

You might owe me a keyboard!

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 78437)
LOL! Maybe the moose needed to pick something out of its teeth?
No video & not as funny, but i had a close encounter of the ungulate kind on the way to the Grand Canyon from Flagstaff, AZ. I had rented a convertable lebaron (it was 93) & was driving my sis to the Canyon so we could hang out & catch up on what she'd been doing at grad school. Being a MS native, i don't plan rest stops on highway trips, i pee behind the plentiful trees whenever i feel the need. There aren't many trees on the way to the canyon, so i had to wait (quite anxiously) for a rest stop. When we finally came to a rest area, i was walking fast for the door only to be disappointed by a "closed for maintenance" sign. I saw a line of cedar trees & headed for them at an even faster clip, seeking some free-flowing relief. After reaching the gravel road the trees lined, i proceeded to relieve my bladder; about halfway through, i heard a loud noise right behind me. Apparently a gigormous buck (toooo big for a whitetail, have no idear) was not pleased with me for watering his road & was snorting to alert me to this. I finished, left rapidly, & wished i had had a spare hand & a camera; biggest "deer" i've ever seen in person & it was laughing at me. :rolleyes:

Beer and keyboards don't mix well,and I took a sip just as I read that!
:D

davemccarthy707 10-17-2009 09:37 PM

It just goes to show how blind moose are.

ljsayat13 10-20-2009 01:19 AM

Moose are dangerous and big but they have poor eyesight :D

MAGNUM44 02-28-2010 12:53 AM

Good cover & camo does work

So who says that good cameo & masking scent's dont work, That mother moose was keeping a eye out for her calf & she did not even smell him in all of that wind that was blowing, great camo job. :)

Patrick Sperry 02-28-2010 05:27 AM

I'm no Moose Hunter

I have only once in my life hunted Moose. That said, yes, I got one due to some excellent work by my guide.

Despite the huge size, mean ass temperament, and Gawd awful environment they remind me of Whitetail Deer with an attitude.

The bonus part is that they really do fill a freezer, and taste really good!

Good God though? Those beast remind me of Jumbo that have feasted on berries a few days before!

utelme 03-02-2010 01:49 AM

He was lucky a moose with a calf is on the the same danger scale as a Grizzly. I have a friend that surprised one in his back yard with a calf and it nearly killed him he has hoof scars on his back and head.

utelme 03-02-2010 01:52 AM

By the way the buck you saw near the canyon was a desert Mule deer