Moose Hunt Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Moose Hunt Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Moose Hunt Question

Howdy All.

I'm starting to percolate the idea of a Moose Hunt in 2012 in Alberta and was wondering if I could bring a quartered Moose back in to the United States on ice to take to my processor and the head to my Taxidermist?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Biker

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #2

I did that last year in BC. The outfitter had a walk in cooler that we could hang the moose overnight. It cooled it to the bone. We traveled for two days back to Oregon with it under tarps with ice and it stayed plenty cool. I don't think I'd attempt it with out it being cooled or flash frozen first. It was in the 70's traveling back and that could spoil a moose pretty fast if not cooled.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
Howdy All.

I'm starting to percolate the idea of a Moose Hunt in 2012 in Alberta and was wondering if I could bring a quartered Moose back in to the United States on ice to take to my processor and the head to my Taxidermist?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Biker
I bring my deer by car from texas each year. I freeze the meat inside vaccuum sealer bags pack on ice and drive up. It arrives nice and frozen. Dont see why a moose would pose an issue, just a bigger scale

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #4

Liked 740 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I bring my deer by car from texas each year. I freeze the meat inside vaccuum sealer bags pack on ice and drive up. It arrives nice and frozen. Dont see why a moose would pose an issue, just a bigger scale
Wi going to Tx for deer hunting, Hmmmm.
Get your license in NH. You can bring everything w/ you. Submit for the lottery and have at it. I'd help you out. We have moose like Tx has hogs.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Wi going to Tx for deer hunting, Hmmmm.
Get your license in NH. You can bring everything w/ you. Submit for the lottery and have at it. I'd help you out. We have moose like Tx has hogs.
A moose i would love to have a go at. Its on my list of things to do. But i combine the deer hunt with a family visit. Wisconsin too damn cold to be outside during deer season!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1252 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 527

I live in WI but return to the Sportsman's Paradise (Louisiana) to deer hunt. Gun season in WI 9 days, gun season in LA closer to 69 days. Nuff said.

By the time I return to WI from LA, my deer is frozen.