mississippi hunting laws
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > mississippi hunting laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default mississippi hunting laws

OK right now me and my brother drive an hour away to go hunting with a well connected friend, it works but I'd like to hunt closer to home. I know we have a WMA about 10 minutes away, old river WMA in south Mississippi, picayune area.

Now for the question... My brother shoots an ak-47 right now, until he can get a hunting rifle. Is it legal to hunt with that in my area and on a WMA? I'm shooting a mosin nagant m91/30 so I should be fine.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

The laws should be posted on the wma website.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1208 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

You might try looking here...........
http://www.mdwfp.com/
https://xnetsecure.mdwfp.com/drawings/public/WmaDrawingsV2.aspx

When all else fails.

Last edited by 303tom; 08-27-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #4

This is all I can find and it doesn't really say much on semi auto.

"Gun: There are no caliber or magazine capacity restrictions on firearms. Primitive weapons (as defined above) and archery equipment may be used during gun seasons."

This is under legal weapons

Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika View Post
This is all I can find and it doesn't really say much on semi auto.

"Gun: There are no caliber or magazine capacity restrictions on firearms. Primitive weapons (as defined above) and archery equipment may be used during gun seasons."

This is under legal weapons
That is all I've ever been able to find when I went looking for mag capacity limits and such.

IMO, I would get a five round mag, just to avoid any issues. You also want the soft point ammo, though 7.62 is a bit large for squirrel you plan to eat (head shots).

EDIT*
Quote:
H. Small Game: Legal weapons for small game hunting (excluding waterfowl) during Daylight hours are shotguns using #2 shot or smaller, rifles or handguns no larger than .22 rimfire (which includes .22 magnums), muzzleloading rifles .40 caliber or smaller, and archery equipment using arrows with points other than broadheads.
http://www.mdwfp.com/media/178537/40_miss_admin_code_pt_2_chapter_1_-_wma_regulations_2013-04-18_final.pdf No Mosin either, I spose. Too bad, i'd like to see a squirrel hit by a Mosin; you could cook the bits you found using the bayonet over a campfire.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 08-27-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
That is all I've ever been able to find when I went looking for mag capacity limits and such.

IMO, I would get a five round mag, just to avoid any issues. You also want the soft point ammo, though 7.62 is a bit large for squirrel you plan to eat (head shots).

EDIT* http://www.mdwfp.com/media/178537/40_miss_admin_code_pt_2_chapter_1_-_wma_regulations_2013-04-18_final.pdf No Mosin either, I spose. Too bad, i'd like to see a squirrel hit by a Mosin; you could cook the bits you found using the bayonet over a campfire.
Oops, I guess I should have specified, we hunt pigs and deer.

My brother has a. 22 and I could use my dad's 22 if I needed it... Not much on varmint hunting.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

.22LR is not a good platform for pigs and deer. Even .223 is unethical in some people's opinion. Both can be done with the right ammo, rifle and shot placement, but its not a good idea to try on your first day out.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 08-27-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika View Post
Oops, I guess I should have specified, we hunt pigs and deer.

My brother has a. 22 and I could use my dad's 22 if I needed it... Not much on varmint hunting.
Quote:
L. LEGAL WEAPONS: Only centerfire rifles, shotguns with slugs or buckshot, primitive weapons, and centerfire handguns may be used for deer hunting, EXCEPT FOR Calhoun County, Chickasaw, Chickasawhay, Choctaw, John Starr, Little Biloxi, and Upper Sardis where only centerfire rifles, shotguns with slugs, primitive weapons, and centerfire handguns may be used for deer hunting.
from the previously cited link.

If I understood correctly, Hogs are considered nuisance animals and the firearms used to hunt them are limited by whatever season is in progress for game animals. IOW, if it is deer season, use what you use on deer, but if it is small game season...you better be quick on your feet.
Quote:
6. WILD HOGS: Wild hogs are classified as nuisance animals and hunters are encouraged to kill them at every lawful opportunity. The opportunity to kill hogs on WMAs is provided only for population control purposes and not for sport. Wild hogs may be killed during daylight hours only during any open WMA hunting season with weapons and ammunition legal for that season. Trapping (including snaring) of hogs is prohibited. Moving or transporting live hogs is prohibited

Now, they say bear hunting is illegal here in MS, but don't let smokey eat you either.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 08-27-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #9

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
from the previously cited link.

If I understood correctly, Hogs are considered nuisance animals and the firearms used to hunt them are limited by whatever season is in progress for game animals. IOW, if it is deer season, use what you use on deer, but if it is small game season...you better be quick on your feet.

Now, they say bear hunting is illegal here in MS, but don't let smokey eat you either.
Bear hunting is very illegal. A few years ago a local guy hit one with his car and loaded it up on the hood. Well Mr. game warden saw it and AFAIK he's still doing time . I'm pretty sure you're good with the Mosin and AK according to the regs on the MDWFP site but I'd ask a game warden to be on the safe side.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 08-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #10

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I hunted whitetail in Mississippi with my Mosin, after checking with friends here, greeting my step dad to help me research it, and asking a game warden friend.

It all seems A-okay. Some states restrict ammo type, but Mississippi has not lately been one of them. I would still get some soft point ammo for that Mosin.

And keep an eye on the laws regarding hunting. They can change drastically from one year to the next, due to monitored changes in wildlife populations and habits. Many people (usually NOT in Mississippi) hunt legally for years, and then suddenly find themselves on the wrong side of the law because of a certain percentage drop in the population of local game that they weren't aware of.

Edit to add: game laws don't often change during the season. They're usually set once a year and left alone until the next year, unless something drastic happens. So brush up every year for sure, but keep abreast of any possible changes throughout the year.