Milldot or BDC with rangerfinder? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Milldot or BDC with rangerfinder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's the way I see it. If he's inexperienced enough that he needs advise, he likely don't have any business attempting shots WAYYY out there in the 1st place. The facts of the matter is with a 30-06 equipped with a quality 3x-9x-40mm scope, he'll be able to shoot a deer by holding dead on when properly zeroed.

A deer's vital zone of the heart/lung area is about 10-12". Assuming a scope height of 1.50-1.60" above boreline, and 150-180 gr bullet loads, he can zero for maximum point blank range and never have to even worry about holdover within "reasonable" range. For example-sight the rifle in to be 3" high @ 100 yards. It translates to dead on at about 300 yards, with mid-range bullet path of +3.5" @ 200 yards. That will give maximum effective range of about 350 yards ( -4") with no holdover, fancy reticles, or even rangefinder. Be SURE to confirm that on the shooting range by actually shooting at those distances.

The VAST majority of shots at deer will be less than 350 yards. Those that are further can usually be stalked or will have to be passed up on anyway. I've done a LOT of long range shooting in various forms and seen a lot of others shooting at extended ranges and can state that 98% of hunters have very little business shooting at game beyond 350 yards. Also-ALWAYS use the steadiest rest possible-you're NOT "cheating", just showing the respect for the game animal that's due by striving to achive 100% clean kills.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I zero scopes for whitetail hunting at 200 yards. I've got a few nice scopes with ballistic / long range reticles and others that are plain old standard reticles albeit in high quality scopes. The most powerful scope I have on a deer rifle is 4X12, the rest are 3X9. Varmint rifles are higher 5X20.
What really gets the job done for me though is my willingness to use and access to a rifle range. If I don't get out and shoot 2 or 3 times a week I have shooters withdrawal. I hunt varmints, that is also a great way to hone your skills (once again very fortunate to access). Time is of the essence when hunting, being prepared to me is a culmination of things that include flexibility. Although I can shoot pretty well off hand short of squirrels I never do. Shooting sticks, bi-pods (my favorite), knees, trees, rocks, backpacks all make good rests. Some kind of a rest is better than no rest at all.
Study your bullet drop and windage charts, practice as much as you can. #1 thing is to think safety, knowing what's beyond your intended target (never skyline) is paramount to me. The ability to not take the shot is what makes an ethical hunter IMO.

Last edited by dls56; 07-21-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Tags
deer, mildot, scope