Lost in the Ozark Forest - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Lost in the Ozark Forest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

awsome story

Old 11-08-2010, 03:31 AM   #22

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default tin type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Hey Sarge is that a tin type.
No it was real film but was shot in 1967 and the picture had turned sorta brownish. I had to change the tint and sharpen the focus and contrast to get it see-able.
Sarge

Old 11-08-2010, 03:53 AM   #23

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The more of these I read the more convinced they would be a hell of a TV series. But who to play Sarge with all three of the stooges gone

Thanks again Sarge. I love reading these.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:01 AM   #24

Default 3 Stooges

Ha Ha Ha, You know, sometimes I feel like I am living a soap opera. I didn't think it was so abnormal until I started writing of my experiences. Some of my friends read them and just shake their heads. LOL But I am not the type to sit around in front of the TV every night or on the weekends. I get out and DO things. And my whole family is following my example. We are having fun even if it hurts. LOL LOL LOL
Sarge

Old 11-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Almost did that..

Sarge, I used to live near Lake of the Ozarks, Lake Ozark, Mo. for a fact. Good country to get turned around in. When I was a young forester on the Spotted Bear RD, Flathead Nat. For. in Montana in 1964, I got "turned around" putting in a haul road in a sale area. The area was in the lower Twin Creeks drainage and there were lots of little drainages and hills. Plus it was in October and there was a foot or two of snow on the ground and a heavy overcast day. What we would call a "white out." Not a vestige of a shadow, and the sun was not even a glimmer in the clouds. I was a mile or two from my pick up and had put in most of the logging road flagging I had planned for the day.

I adjusted my .270 on my shoulder and whipped out my compass to take a shot on getting back to the truck. [Did I forget to mention I had my .270?] I knew I was looking in the right direction.... Well, that stupid compass said I was about 180 degrees out of phase. Hmmmm... Must be my rifle (elk season was in, and you never know when you might have to take a little annual leave to pack an elk out . So I took my rifle and walked off few feet and leaned it against a tree, and went back to where I was standing. Same result! With that I collected my .270, put my trust in the compass and about an hour later hit the FS road about 200 yards from my pick up. Sure did feel good to 1. hit the road; and 2. see my trusty pick up right down the road. Never told the ranger. He would have laughed me out of the ranger station. I never went anywhere without my Silva compass on my cruiser's vest.

It is a strange feeling to discover you aren't sure where you are, let alone which direction is which. TB

Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #26

Default compass

Roger that tiger. It is even worse when you are in charge of a platoon of soldiers and every one is standing around and looking at you. HA HA
Done that.
Sarge

Old 11-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Great story Sarge! Thanks for sharing!

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #28

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Default great story

getting lost has happened to us all ......the only thing that you really had to worry about was if you had heard '' dueling banjos'' as the dial tone on that phone ! squeal like a pig! lol

Old 11-20-2010, 04:05 AM   #29

Default Dualing Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
getting lost has happened to us all ......the only thing that you really had to worry about was if you had heard '' dueling banjos'' as the dial tone on that phone ! squeal like a pig! lol
Back in the late 60's I wrote a story about a canoe trip we took in Arkansas and we actually ran into the sterotyped in-bred Ozark family when pulling over in our canoes for a break. I will see if I can find that original story or remember enough of the incident to rewrite it.
Sarge

Old 11-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #30

Default No Hairy Razorbacks

Sir; NO NO hahaha; WE DON"T need Dueling Banjo's from ARKANSAS
''they'' will be "razorbacks"lol

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!