Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Looking for semi-auto shotgun for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Looking for semi-auto shotgun for hunting

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a Remington, Benelli or Browning semi automatic 12GA shotgun. It will be used for deer hunting and perhaps skeet/clay shooting etc down the road, here are my requirements:
-screw in choke system
-wood stock
-known for its reliability and simple cycle design
-under $1600

I am seriously looking at the Browning A5 but not sure about which barrel length would suit me best, 26" vs 30". Right now I have a Remington 870 Express Tactical and it would probably get the job done but I don't want to look like a tactical commando taking out deers, and I always wanted a nice wood stock shotgun anyway.

Thanks for your suggestions!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a Remington, Benelli or Browning semi automatic 12GA shotgun. It will be used for deer hunting and perhaps skeet/clay shooting etc down the road, here are my requirements:
-screw in choke system
-wood stock
-known for its reliability and simple cycle design
-under $1600

I am seriously looking at the Browning A5 but not sure about which barrel length would suit me best, 26" vs 30". Right now I have a Remington 870 Express Tactical and it would probably get the job done but I don't want to look like a tactical commando taking out deers, and I always wanted a nice wood stock shotgun anyway.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Get a remington 1100

Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #3

Liked 305 Times on 170 Posts

I just bought a used Beretta A390-ST. Was $650. Three screw in chokes. Wood furniture. Vented rib. Even has some scrollwork. I plan to shoot skeet with it.

image-1729168819.jpg

image-2220013753.jpg

Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #4

This is the 1100 I was looking at:
http://remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-1100/model-1100-sporting-series.aspx

Indy36, how long is that barrel?

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Benelli Montefeltro would meet those criteria.

26 inch barrel is all you need.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Benelli Montefeltro would meet those criteria.
yeah that's exactly the series I was looking at for Benelli.

So basically this is turning into a Montefeltro vs 1100 vs Browning A5 thread lol.

How greatly would I benefit from a 30" if I was shooting birds?

I'm pretty much looking for a good, fancy all around shotgun, doesn't have to be the best at one thing or another.

Also if going with the A5, would it be worth it to get it chambered in (up to) 3 1/2" ?

If I'm not mistaken, the Montefeltro and A5 are recoil operated, while the 1100 is gas operated. Since I want to keep maintenance at a minimum, would you agree that maybe the Benelli or Browning would be a better choice?

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 03-26-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
Also if going with the A5, would it be worth it to get it chambered in (up to) 3 1/2" ?

If I'm not mistaken, the Montefeltro and A5 are recoil operated, while the 1100 is gas operated. Since I want to keep maintenance at a minimum, would you agree that maybe the Benelli or Browning would be a better choice?
All three of the shotguns you mention would be an excellent choice, and you have to make it.

My Monty is a 20 ga., excellent gun, points great, functions great.

The new A5 is intriguing and I have high regard for Browning products.

But, for a shotgun to shoot 3.5 inch ammo., the only option for me is a super black eagle 2.

Off the subject, but I will give up hunting before I shoot 3.5's in another pump gun.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #8

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Also check out the Browning silver

Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #9

In terms of simplicity of the design, both the A5 and Montefeltro are recoil operated, anyone knows which one has an edge over the other?

As far as the 1100 is concerned, how reliable is its gas system?

Old 03-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
PGM
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 40 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have a 1187 with cantilever barrel 2-7 leopold. And 28" vent rib barrel is good for skeet .It wastes a lot of venison during deer season(slugs in commie illinois) I have never had a problem with it.