Looking for my first GPS for hunting big woods
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Looking for my first GPS for hunting big woods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 5

Default Looking for my first GPS for hunting big woods

Have always been a compass guy. At 51 years old...GPS never seemed to be needed. Saw a friend of mine use one this last hunting season and....well....I admit I liked it. Now I don't have $500 to spend but want to make a one time purchase on one. Any ideas out there on a good GPS?
Thank you all
Merry Christmas!

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." Patrick Henery ... "The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!" George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 956 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Handheld or mounted? Garmin has a good selection and I have owned several. Rhino line has map, altimeter, and two way radio...

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 12-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Rhino.....

Old 12-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #4

All the guys in our camp have the Rhino series. They work great, but are a bit spendy. Try hitting up eBay or the like for used ones. I bought mine used when a hunting buddy upgraded to the next model, it shouldn't be too hard to find a good deal online.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1982 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 592

The Garmin Etrex Venture or Legend might work out for you and are fairly reasonable. Get one with a map if you can afford it. Check out Amazon for prices before you buy. I have an old 60CS that map updates are no longer available for but it keeps on working. Buying used can mean an unsupported device, no map upgrades.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7105 Times on 4276 Posts
Likes Given: 8617

Quote:
Originally Posted by safedman View Post
Have always been a compass guy. At 51 years old...GPS never seemed to be needed. Saw a friend of mine use one this last hunting season and....well....I admit I liked it. Now I don't have $500 to spend but want to make a one time purchase on one. Any ideas out there on a good GPS?
Thank you all
Merry Christmas!
I don't know anything about using a GPS for hunting and I know $500 is a lot of money. When I buy things that are pretty pricey, I compare many kinds and I decide what features I want and what features I won't need or would never use. That right there might make it more within your budget. Why pay for features you won't need? Then pick and choose from the list you are left with.

As of yet, I don't own a 'smart phone'. I don't see a need to have the internet on my phone. I don't want to pay for that on my phone bill, either. All I want in a cell phone is it makes calls, texts, takes pictures and videos. Believe it or not, those simple phones are getting harder and harder to find.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1208 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

There`s an APP for that...........

When all else fails.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #8

Likes Given: 5

LOL!! Liked the Ap for that comment!
Thank you for your input, I now have a starting point for researching a GPS. Got to really like these web sites and the info available.
I am Grateful
Merry Christmas to you all

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." Patrick Henery ... "The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!" George Washington

Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #9

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

I have an E-trex I bought years ago. Still use a compass. I'm 50. The E-trex is cool because you can set a point every time you change direction and find the shortest route home. I do the same w/ a compass though. No batteries to die. The E-trex has a compass mode. I just don't trust batteries. The compass is lighter.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

these all these modern things we have today WOODMANSHIP goes out the window! you wonder how hunters of yesterday did it.