Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Looking for my first GPS for hunting big woods (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/looking-my-first-gps-hunting-big-woods-53862/)

safedman 12-20-2011 10:06 AM

Looking for my first GPS for hunting big woods

Have always been a compass guy. At 51 years old...GPS never seemed to be needed. Saw a friend of mine use one this last hunting season and....well....I admit I liked it. Now I don't have $500 to spend but want to make a one time purchase on one. Any ideas out there on a good GPS?
Thank you all
Merry Christmas!

TruggieTex 12-20-2011 10:17 AM

Handheld or mounted? Garmin has a good selection and I have owned several. Rhino line has map, altimeter, and two way radio...

peters923 12-21-2011 02:07 PM

Rhino.....

king1138 12-21-2011 02:33 PM

All the guys in our camp have the Rhino series. They work great, but are a bit spendy. Try hitting up eBay or the like for used ones. I bought mine used when a hunting buddy upgraded to the next model, it shouldn't be too hard to find a good deal online.

JTJ 12-21-2011 02:50 PM

The Garmin Etrex Venture or Legend might work out for you and are fairly reasonable. Get one with a map if you can afford it. Check out Amazon for prices before you buy. I have an old 60CS that map updates are no longer available for but it keeps on working. Buying used can mean an unsupported device, no map upgrades.

winds-of-change 12-21-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by safedman (Post 656020)
Have always been a compass guy. At 51 years old...GPS never seemed to be needed. Saw a friend of mine use one this last hunting season and....well....I admit I liked it. Now I don't have $500 to spend but want to make a one time purchase on one. Any ideas out there on a good GPS?
Thank you all
Merry Christmas!

I don't know anything about using a GPS for hunting and I know $500 is a lot of money. When I buy things that are pretty pricey, I compare many kinds and I decide what features I want and what features I won't need or would never use. That right there might make it more within your budget. Why pay for features you won't need? Then pick and choose from the list you are left with.

As of yet, I don't own a 'smart phone'. I don't see a need to have the internet on my phone. I don't want to pay for that on my phone bill, either. All I want in a cell phone is it makes calls, texts, takes pictures and videos. Believe it or not, those simple phones are getting harder and harder to find. :mad:

303tom 12-21-2011 03:52 PM

There`s an APP for that...........

safedman 12-21-2011 08:41 PM

LOL!! Liked the Ap for that comment!
Thank you for your input, I now have a starting point for researching a GPS. Got to really like these web sites and the info available.
I am Grateful
Merry Christmas to you all

jpattersonnh 12-21-2011 09:32 PM

I have an E-trex I bought years ago. Still use a compass. I'm 50. The E-trex is cool because you can set a point every time you change direction and find the shortest route home. I do the same w/ a compass though. No batteries to die. The E-trex has a compass mode. I just don't trust batteries. The compass is lighter.

lonewolf101 12-21-2011 09:52 PM

these all these modern things we have today WOODMANSHIP goes out the window! you wonder how hunters of yesterday did it.