Longest shots you have taken on big game - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Longest shots you have taken on big game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 234

My furthest shot was a bull elk at 120 yards at the bottom of a clear cut. A few years before in the same cut I walked within 75 feet of a 4X4 bull, I should have pulled my Redhawk and shot him because the borrowed rifle rifle I was using was useless, but that's another long story.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #82

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking
My furthest shot was a bull elk at 120 yards at the bottom of a clear cut. A few years before in the same cut I walked within 75 feet of a 4X4 bull, I should have pulled my Redhawk and shot him because the borrowed rifle rifle I was using was useless, but that's another long story.
That's alright we enjoy long stories give us something to do lol

Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
That's alright we enjoy long stories give us something to do lol
That's called cabin fever and when the weather is bad and I can't do stuff outside, other than bringing in the firewood, I then spend far too much time sitting here typing this stuff.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #84

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
That's called cabin fever and when the weather is bad and I can't do stuff outside, other than bringing in the firewood, I then spend far too much time sitting here typing this stuff.
Its raining its ass off here so.......story please???

Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking
Yep that's the way it is here in missouri crapy weather that's way we need a good story heck I will get the fire wood and build a fire and marlin will bring the drinks

Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The story starts like this: left knee in brace due to broken knee cap, start deer hunting by hopping/hobbling 1/4 mile to blind site. Sit down take pain reliever, fall asleep. Wake to noise from woods to my right. See 2 whitetail running full out in open field in front of me and my M77/30-06. Lead front/ larger deer at the nose, take shot. Deer keeps on running full out with no flinch/hesitation at all. Take a little nap. Decide to hop/hobble to where the deer had crossed. 200 paces to hoof prints. Look down, find 4" diameter blood spot. SHHHTTT! Hop/Hobble 250 more paces, deer is lying dead in beginning of woods on south side of field over a knoll. GRRREATT! Now, since my left leg is in a brace, I have a small problem of kneeling to field dress the deer. HMMM, kneel on right knee, left stretched out precariously, start dressing out, fall over to my elbows in guts. NICE! Continue with the operation. Thinking there is help at the cabin, hobble over 1/2 mile back to get help. NOPE. No one is there, out looking for another hunters animal 3 miles away. (Found out later). So, get UTC, stick leg out side of unit, drive to the deer. Don't have the strength to pick animal up into the bed of the unit, so throw rope around the neck, loop over the roll bar, and with one hand pull deer head up and the other pull rope to keep tension. REAL FUN. Get upper part of deer on tailgate, start again, (don't ask why I just didn't drag the thing by the rope home, stupid I guess), get deer back to cabin. Still no one there to help hoist into tree to bleed out, so take rope throw over branch 12 foot in the air, attach UTC to rope pull deer up. REAL TIRED by this time, and with no one to help tie off the rope, back UTC around another small tree to allow enough friction on rope so I can release it from the unit, and without dropping deer, wrap & tie off the rope.
Really need more pain reliever by this time.
All this on the final day of deer season in 2011, and for a 200# DOE? YEP.
In 2012, went hunting at the same place, knee was doing fine, no worries, no problems, NO DEER!
Will continue the tradition of hunting cause it Ya never know what's next!
You wanted a story, here's my sign!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #87

Lmao you most defiantly earned that deer

Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #88

Okay, so here's what happened in about the mid 1980's. Shortly after moving here in S.W. Oregon we got a bit short on money and I sold my hunting rifle and all I had to hunt with was a Thompson .50 cal. Hawkens black powder rifle that I built from a kit. Where I was going elk hunting I really needed to have a longer range rifle and I had a friend that loaned me his J.C. Higgins (FN action) 30-06 bolt action. He couldn't find the scope for it but I figured I'd do alright with it so off we go out on a ridge about 30 miles West of where we live where I had seen elk before and plenty of tracks that showed that it was a favorite place for elk to be. I had driven as far as I could on the ridge, climbed out and filled the magazine with rounds and walked about 50 foot over the clearcut side of the ridge and when I look down to the bottom I saw a large elk standing at the edge of the timber. Of course my heart went up in my throat and was greatly increased in beating so I crouched down behind a young chinquapin tree to let my heart slow down and the buck fever to subside. After I settled down some I looked at the elk again but I couldn't see any antlers, the light was bad and there were a lot of tree branches all around that sort of camouflaged any antlers the elk may have had. Remember the rifle had no scope. Anyway the elk was looking side to side when what sunlight there was glanced off of his antlers and set my heart to racing again, once I settled down I fired a round at him and I thought I heard a slap like I had hit him but he didn't move and I fired an other round at which he raised on his hind legs and turned and walked into the woods. I figured that I might have wounded him and that if I didn't rush down there he might just walk a bit into the timber and die. So I went back to the Bronco strapped on my Redhawk, put on my rain gear as rain and sleet was starting to blow horizontally across the ridge, threw additional ammo into my pockets and walked down to the bottom of the cut. I had walked about 50 feet into the timber when a bull elk (thought it was the one I had shot) stood up about 75 feet in front of me, I fired twice and missed (about this time I figure I could have pulled my 44 mag and dropped him) and off he went we me following a game trail on the bottom side of the ridge. About a quarter mile down the trail I came up about less than a 100 feet behind him with him looking over his back at me, I didn't want to bung hole shoot him so I tried for a head shot, tow more rounds and both missed. I tried to follow him again but his tracks disappeared in the salal brush and I ended up looking all over the ridge and around a road at the bottom for his tracks but he flat disappeared. I probably walked about 10 miles looking for that dang animal. Later when I got home I took the barrel off of the stock because I had promised to install a Pachmayr recoil pad on it I found that the stock was split where the recoil lug bolted. One more hard earned lesson, never borrow a rifle to hunt with, I bought a Ruger 30-06 and the next time I hunted the clearcut I got a good sized spike bull. A few years later in thinking about this hunt I began to realize that the bull that stood up when I walked in from the edge of the timber was probably a different one that had about the same antler configuration, in all the searching I did I never once saw any blood from a wound. I told my friend that if that rifle had belonged to me I would have wrapped it around a tree as I was rather PO'd.

Last edited by Viking; 01-29-2013 at 08:16 PM.
tri70 Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #89

Wow that sucks hope you get another chance at another one his size