Long range hunting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Long range hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Long range hunting

I know some people like this as much as a root canal, but I'm into it and I wanna talk about it. So there. I'm kindly a poor cowboy so I've had to build up my own long range rig, Howa 300 win mag, vortex viper 6.5-20 and 200 gr Sierra gameking. I've got out to 300 yards so far, no problems, all is working well. I just wondered what you all like and have had success with. The only problem I've run into is I can't fit that big scope in a saddle scabbard. Guess I'll just have to build one. What have you all found to be both quality and inexpensive?

Wait, was this thing on?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #2

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Learn how to use this-

External Ballistics Calculator

Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I guess long range is relitive, but I don`t consider 300 yrds as long range. To get what I would consider loang range you have to be shooting behond the point blank range og the rifle. To have any consistancy you have to have to know the velocity and BC of the bullet you are useing so you can work up a good drop chart. Then you have to have a good range finder, and the cheap ones won`t measure the ranges that you will be shooting. A wind meter is not 100% nessary, but will help. You will also need a scope that track right on and has target knobes. Your 300 will reach out there if it has the accuracy nessary, but you will need a good rest or at least a by-pod which will be another problem for your scabered.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 01-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #4

Likes Given: 1

I'm with you, I have a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero that I working up 162gr Hornady Interlocks right now. I have a bipod and have started with a Vortex Crossfire, cheap, but actually a really nice peice of glass for the money, and a lifetime warranty. I like the Viper also myself, maybe someday I will go to something like that. I am not interested in 1000yd stuff, but someday I would like to be able to kill an animal at 600yds, maybe 700 if I got good enough. Good luck. All I know to this point is the challenge can become addicting.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As far as drop carts and ballistic calculators go, I have the Berger bullets calculator on my computer, it's pretty accurate so far. I have an app called "ballistic" on my phone that's pretty awesome. You can either load data you have from your own reloading or choose factory rounds with it. It has a feature that can find your current elevation and weather too, so that helps. So far it's been good, actually makes me shoot a little high, (it says 300 yards is up 2.25 minutes, it worked out to 1.75 with my rifle,) so I'm a little off from its data. As I said in the original post, so far I'm only out to 300 yards, but I just finalized my load 2 weeks ago, and I'm working out were everything is on my turret. It's been a slow process so far, but a lot of fun. I use a rock river bipod, adjusts from 9" to 15". I have a RCBS chronograph that is awesome. It's the one that looks like a big bullet. At only $119 it has been fun and very helping in finding which loads work best. (Mostly I've found the velocities listed in load manuals are more guidelines than factual, 300 fps off sometimes, sometimes pretty close, don't trust your loads to it, go find out yourself.) I hope to get it out at least to 500 yards before calving season starts, then I'll probably have to wait till next winter to work on it anymore after that. Slow, but very interesting.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #6

Good shooting ropin, detecting a 3/4 moa error in your calculated ups says a lot about your rifle, reloads and shooting ability, to say nothing about doping winds.
Congrats.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow I'd forgotten about this thread. I guess I can give an update.

I've gotten out to 700 yards with the 200 grain Sierra game kings. It's pretty damn satisfying when you whop something that far out.

As far as the drop chart from the iPhone app, I noticed the elevation was further off the higher I went. It said 4.5 minutes at 400 which turned out to be 4 minutes. 7.2 at 500 was really 6.75 10.5 at 600 was 9.5 14 at 700 was 13.

I adjusted my fps in the app from 2950 to 3050 and it started to match what I was actually shooting. I'm still shooting at 2950, but that was the easiest way to get my chart on.

image-2439270161.jpg

image-120778776.jpg

image-742155979.jpg

image-2498132310.jpg

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #8

It's all about knowing your gun and reload performance. Routinely taking prairie dogs at 600 yards with .223s is very doable. Using the .300 mag with quality reloads will easily double this distance. Satisfying....you bet.