Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > long distance 223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19562 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludlow22 View Post
Yeah, I don't want to push the round any faster, for th at exact reason. Ive seen a lot of swift and 250 barrels shot out due to excessive velocities. But what I need is an ideal twist and length for the most stable flight of these rounds so i can have a barrel made and matched to my 700 action. Thanks
but what i said is based off general rules of thumb and not true in every case. remember that a barrel has a finite lifespan based on number of rounds fired before it loses accuracy. there are many variables that have to be factored in. slow burning vs. fast burning powders, small and lightweight bullets vs. heavier bullets, and ect., ect... even the 220 Swift can lead a much better barrel life now than fifty years ago, due to vast improvements in powder technology today. back when the 220 Swift came on the market, with the large case size, small 22 caliber bullet and the powders needed to push it over 4000 fps, it ended up being a barrel burner, due to it completing a lot of the powder burn in the barrel vs. the case. the 22-250 with the same bullets, smaller more efficient case size and different powders, pushed the bullet almost as fast without the adverse effects of burrning out the barrel, due to completed burn in the case, vs. the barrel.

i am guessing you are barreling an action? if this is the case, then you will have much more options, vs. using a factory built rifle. my suggestion would be to pick a range of bullet weights you want to shoot and then pick a twist ratio based on this. this is what i am doing with mine. most people who do this make the rifle a pretty much singular use rifle. of the shelf rifles come with a twist ratio that will work with a very broad range of bullet weights. my planned rifle is based on a 6.5mm bullet and the twist ration will be optimized for bullets in the 100-120gr weight range. are you fully decided on going 223 caliber or open to suggestions? another suggestion, if you are rebarreling, you really need to consider reloading to get the full potential out of the rifle. not that it can't perform well with premium factory ammo, but will usually perform much better with fine tuned handloads.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #12
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

A 1-8 or 1-9 twist with a 24" or 26" barrel would be just what you will want.
Now just decide on the maker of the barrel,there are plenty of good barrel makers out there nowadays.

FMJ bullets don't make very good hunting bullets.They mainly just punch holes completely thru whatever your wanting to kill,and don't expand like the soft point or ballistic tipped bullets do. Just my opinion on the subject!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #13

Default Range?

I missed what long range is to you?

500 yards? 600 yards? or more

you can push an 80 grain bullet out to 2980+ fps and can hit a man size target at 1000 yards. You want to use factory ammo with 55 grs i doubt you will get out much past 500 yards with any accuracy.

What are you willing to do?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #14

5and600 yards was what i was looking at and at 32 cents a round coupled with my hatred for reloading(forced to scale powder since I was 4), I really cant justify reloading. The fmj works for my purpose because it doesn't tear up hides like a soft point making the value higher. I'm assuming 1 in 8 or 9 are my options with a 28 inch heavy barrel?

Old 05-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #15

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I think you should go for accuracy over velocity for shooting prairie dogs or coyotes. I love shooting the 55 gr Nosler ballistic tip with 21.5 gr RL7 or 24.5 gr of H335 is one of the best loads I have found. If you hit with a bt, the little varmits don't stand a chance!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Go with hornady 55g loads

guns don't kill people, people kill people and if they take our guns then the bad guys will have them and we won't thay will be fear less of us.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:53 AM   #17

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludlow22 View Post
Looking for a barrel length and twist to accommodate 3050 fps at long range. Mostly to be used for varmint hunting so weight is not an issue. Would be nice to take harmonics into account, but I don't know any of the formulas. Thinking about just going with the 700 action, can anyone help?
I run a 22" free float with a 1 in 8 twist on my long range AR. With 55 GR Factory Ammo it will hold .5 MOA out to 300 yard with a consistent 9" drop at that range.

Upper build by J&S Olympia WA

Barrel from Black Hole Weaponry Moses Lake WA

TACK

Old 07-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Alot of people say 1/7.5 is the best for 55g 223 i dont have the money or tine to find out for my self but i know alot of people shot a1/8 or1/7 twist

guns don't kill people, people kill people and if they take our guns then the bad guys will have them and we won't thay will be fear less of us.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19562 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyllandhide View Post
Alot of people say 1/7.5 is the best for 55g 223 i dont have the money or tine to find out for my self but i know alot of people shot a1/8 or1/7 twist
i don't think the half a twish ratio will be that big a difference. if you are buying a factory built rifle off the shelf, you are pretty much stuck with whatever twist they build into it. my AR has a 1-9 twist and it shoots 55 gr FMJ just fine.

now if you are building a rifle or rebarreling, you can pick and choose a twist ratio that is optimal for the size of bullets you will shoot. downside is, the rifle now becomes less tolerant of other bullet weights outside the ones the twist ration was picked for. factory rifles use a twist ratio that is a compromise for all bullet weights. that is why you need to try different ammo in them to find the one that works the best.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I agree gunmakers have the time and money to research and devolp the guns to work good under any condtion i think 1/9 or 1/10 is the standard but i dont know