Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > list of states that allow rifle hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Personally I don't see what the big deal is. If you can hunt with one seems like you could carry one. But then Ms. has some of the craziest hunting laws there are. Especially during primitive weapons season. I have heard but not seen it written anywhere that next year we're going back to a tagging system which will allow one buck that doesn't meet antler restrictions. MDFWP has put out pics of how to tell if a buck meets restrictions so you don't have to actually get a buck to stand still so you can measure his antlers before you shoot him. I don't see it working very well tho.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #42

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Well in CT you can hunt with a rifle, bow, or a shotgun. However, you can only use slugs in the shotgun if you're going for deer. the min. caliber in CT is .243 for deer. Some regulations change from state park to state park, but most will allow a rifle now. Gotta be 500 feet from an occupied residence, road, or place of business for rifle and anything not by the coast, and 250 feet away from forementioned places for tidal areas by the coast.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:18 AM   #43

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Georgia is open for rifles in all but populated areas around Atlanta. Bows,crossbows and muzzle loaders are legal too. The season stretches up to 4 months if you use a bow or crossbow,season limit is 12 deer,no more than 2 bucks.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #44

Here in Arkansas you may use rifle, pistol, shotgun or muzzle loader. There are certain restriction to each of those. However, the state also allows the use of suppressed weapons.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #45

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I may be wrong, the law might have changed, but I believe that crossbows are the only weapon you cant hunt with.

Layton

Old 07-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

IIRC, in MS you have to have a doctor's note to use a crossbow in bow season.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #47

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
IIRC, in MS you have to have a doctor's note to use a crossbow in bow season.
Yeah, kinda/sorta.

According to MDWFP. Special crossbow permits may be issued at the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks' Jackson office to any person 65 or older or who has a statement on letterhead from one physician licensed to practice in Mississippi, that the applicant has a disability which totally and permanently prevents him from using a longbow or other conventional archery equipment.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #48

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I think all the states west of the Mississippi river are rifle states, most of the non rifle states in the NE.

I hunt Kansas, Texas and New Mexico and they are all rifle states, and I carry a .45LC also. Pickups are also a favorite for mule deer, and elk and bear in the mountains.

Someone asked about insurance,,,usually there is no damage to the trucks because everyone here has one of these grill guards on their trucks. They will take an elk and not do too much damage to the truck. That is 4" well casing around the front.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #49

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

This has become an interesting thread based on the differences in hunting laws between states, and even the differences within certain states.

Break down for deer in Ohio.

Ohio has 3 zones. The bag limit changes between zones but the tools remain the same. Only one 'antlered' deer may be taken in any of the zones. My zone allows 6 total deer but remember only 1 may be antlered.

Rifles are a no-go. Shotguns are slug only sabot is ok with rifled barrel. Shotguns must have the plug inserted to limit to 3 shots.

Muzzleloading rifle with 1 ball.

Pistols .357 and larger. 5" min barrel. Walled cartridge only.

Bows and crossbows with broad head. (There may be a 1" cut dia min?) Expanders are ok.
There is a limit on fps with the crossbows (I think it is 375 fps max?)

Bow runs from Oct. and thru Jan. Shotgun is 9 total days (full week and sat&sun a few weeks later). Muzzleloader is 4 days only.

They sell permits. 2 kinds and 2 prices. The pricier is the 'antlerless'. They stop selling the "either" permit after Dec 1.

Fortunately, I don't need to purchase a license or permits unless I want to hunt public land.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 08-19-2009 at 01:21 AM.