list of states that allow rifle hunting - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

list of states that allow rifle hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 03:42 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

7MM Magnum is a popular hunting rifle up here too.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:45 AM   #32

I work with a guy that hunts with an SKS. Only problem with a gun like that is the range on it isn't as good as something like a 30-06, 30-30 or a 7MM. I thought their effective range was within 400 yards, but I could be wrong on that one. I know here if you hunt with a gun like that, I'm not sure if it's defined as an assault weapon, you can only have 5 rounds in the magazine at a time. They have some pretty tight laws on the books up here for what you can't and can have.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3573 Times on 1835 Posts
Likes Given: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Your auto insurance rates must be quite high...
You have no idea. At least the deer a small enough that they rarely total out a car. The bad damage comes from people swerving to miss Bambi and hitting a 20+' tree. Of course there is the "phantom deer" that is always to blame when some Nimrod slams a tree. "A deer ran out in front of me so I swerved to miss it". Whatever! If I had a nickel for everytime I heard that one, I would have Swarovski optics on all my rifles.

High rates are a product of millions of uninsured (and mostly unlicensed) drivers. Many are not legally here in the first place and think "get out and run away" is an insurance policy. I have heard that about 1/3 of all cars on the road in Texas are uninsured. The other 2/3's of us pick up the tab for the others.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #34

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
You have no idea. At least the deer a small enough that they rarely total out a car. The bad damage comes from people swerving to miss Bambi and hitting a 20+' tree. Of course there is the "phantom deer" that is always to blame when some Nimrod slams a tree. "A deer ran out in front of me so I swerved to miss it". Whatever! If I had a nickel for everytime I heard that one, I would have Swarovski optics on all my rifles.

High rates are a product of millions of uninsured (and mostly unlicensed) drivers. Many are not legally here in the first place and think "get out and run away" is an insurance policy. I have heard that about 1/3 of all cars on the road in Texas are uninsured. The other 2/3's of us pick up the tab for the others.
Are there any states left anymore where insurance coverage is NOT mandated? You think hitting a deer in a car is bad, try it on a motorcycle....I never rode at night when I lived downstate because of the high deer populations. Where I am now is mostly farm land, and oddly enough there are less deer/car collisions because of the availability of food, which is good considering the average doe weighs well over 100 lbs.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

You remember the lie that was told us here in Texas that when everyone was required to have insurance that they would go down, guess what, they went up, just like that tempory sales tax increase that turned out to be permanent.

Several years ago, I was stopped at a red light and I was hit from the rear, was hit so hard, I was knocked across the street, totaled out the ststion wagon, well I went back to the car that hit me and was not in the best of moods, and I asked if she was ok, she then said NO SAVY ENGLISH, well that really made my day, then to top it off, she had no insurance or drivers license, so MY insurance picked up the whole tab for the car I had.Did they do any thing to her, no, just gave her a ticket, insurance said she couldn't be found, probably went back to Mexico.

Layton

Old 07-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #36

Do you know if Minnesota allows rifle hunting?

Mercedes body kits

Old 07-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I cannot figure out the MS laws on rifle capacity or if there are any (don't see it addressed). I also wonder about sidearm capacity; every deerhunter i know carries a pistol in case of hogs, most use semi-autos.

Anybody got a better link than MS's department of wildlife site for this type of question?

Old 07-24-2009, 03:56 AM   #38

Default Rifle hunting Minnesota and Nebraska

Minnesota does allow deer, moose and I think bear hunting in the upper half of the state using center fire rifles. Not sure of the boundary line.

Nebraska allows center fire hunting state wide.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #39

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I cannot figure out the MS laws on rifle capacity or if there are any (don't see it addressed). I also wonder about sidearm capacity; every deerhunter i know carries a pistol in case of hogs, most use semi-autos.

Anybody got a better link than MS's department of wildlife site for this type of question?
I don't think there's a limit on magazine capacity. You can check on the MDWFP forum to be sure tho Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks - Forums I usually just carry three rounds, never needed more than two. You can't carry a pistol as a sidearm but you can hunt with one as your only weapon.
Antler restrictions and bag limits changed this year. MDWFP decided that the four points or better system we've been using wasn't saving enough yearlings. This year in most of the state the spread has to be at least ten inches or one main beam has to be 13 inches. West of I55 and north of I20 spread has to be 12 inches or main beam length of 15 inches. Bag limit is one buck per day not to exceed three per license year and one doe per day not to exceed five per license year.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Thanks Hawg!

Everybody i know carries a pistol when they deer hunt around here; i guess they just aren't getting caught.