Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > list of states that allow rifle hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Others

When I lived in NJ up until 03' it was all shotgun. Ohio is shotgun also. I live in NC now and you can use rifles, shotgun, muzzleloaders, crossbow(for handicapped people but will change next year to everyone)and Bow and arrow. Also, pistols are allowed.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
(not)

New York doesn't permit rifle hunting for any big game.

But bear are making a pretty big come-back and maybe they'll open up rifle hunting again. Maybe.

Not true! NY allows rifle hunting by county, and many more counties allow it than disallow it! Some counties closer to NYC such as Putnam, and Dutchess Co's. only allow bow, muzzleloader,and shotguns. In Westchester, which borders NYC only bows are allowed. In Columbia, Rensselaer, Washington, Warren and many, many other's, rifles are legal, as are registered centerfire and blackpowder handguns. Even "assault rifles" are legal with 5 round magazine capacity. The only restrictions for rifles is that they not be rimfire .22 cal..Additionally, the entire 5,000,000 + acre Adirondack Park, which is large enough to hold 5 western states' National Parks, is open to rifles. The laws are county-specific, but generally quite liberal, like the politics... Even sunday hunting and optical sights on muzzleloaders are allowed.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-20-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Not true! NY allows rifle hunting by county, and many more counties allow it than disallow it! Some counties closer to NYC such as Putnam, and Dutchess Co's. only allow bow, muzzleloader,and shotguns. In Westchester, which borders NYC only bows are allowed. In Columbia, Rensselaer, Washington, Warren and many, many other's, rifles are legal, as are registered centerfire and blackpowder handguns. Even "assault rifles" are legal with 5 round magazine capacity. The only restrictions for rifles is that they not be rimfire .22 cal..Additionally, the entire 5,000,000 + acre Adirondack Park, which is large enough to hold 5 western states' National Parks, is open to rifles. The laws are county-specific, but generally quite liberal, like the politics... Even sunday hunting and optical sights on muzzleloaders are allowed.
RL.....you beat me too it. This is 100% correct.

Most people when they think of NY, think of NYC or downstate. Upstate is quite different. Up here it is all rifle for the regular hunting season. There are a lot of heavily wooded areas and mountains here and 30-30 is a popular rifle cartridge.

OC

"magbum"

Old 07-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In North Carolina you can hunt big game with whatever you want, rifle, shotgun (slug or buckshot), handgun, bow, crossbow(if disabled). There are a few restricted areas, mostly small gamelands but thats it. Big game has a pretty free system here.
Birds have more regulations, especailly waterfowl.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC357 View Post
RL.....you beat me too it. This is 100% correct.

Most people when they think of NY, think of NYC or downstate. Upstate is quite different. Up here it is all rifle for the regular hunting season. There are a lot of heavily wooded areas and mountains here and 30-30 is a popular rifle cartridge.

OC
Well I believe BKT is in the western part of the state and maybe lives in a restricted county. When I lived in Putnam and Dutchess Co. it was maddening not to be able to use any of my rifles except to target shoot, although with my .50 cal ML I never felt at a disadvantage. I even bought a rifled barrelled Marlin bolt action shotgun that was as accurate as a rifle, although I never got to take a deer with it...now that I'm in rifle country I see deer so close I could spit and hit them!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

In Texas you MUST hunt deer with a rifle (a large caliber rifle) unless you are disabled then you are allowed to use a pick up truck. If you catch 'em just right (in the head) 'ya don't spoil any meat. In Texas, we have about a billion deer but each one is barely big enough to made a sammich out of. It would take 10-12 just to fill a small freezer.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
In Texas you MUST hunt deer with a rifle (a large caliber rifle) unless you are disabled then you are allowed to use a pick up truck. .
Your auto insurance rates must be quite high...

Old 07-21-2009, 02:31 AM   #28
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5654 Times on 3323 Posts
Likes Given: 4773

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Your auto insurance rates must be quite high...
One of the students i taught my last semester of teaching night classes admitted to having hit seven deer, most on his own road. His current ride was a late 1970's full-size chevy pickup with a serious bumper & brush guard. I often wish i had a similar vehicle, but i dodge well in my lil car.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:35 AM   #29

I live in Wisconsin and it's illegal to rifle hunt in Dane County. Then again, most of Dane County is resedential or city areas. You can only shotgun and bow hunt in Dane County. But whatever. It's not like I have to drive 100 miles to gun hunt. Plus in addition to that, you have to be 100 yards from the centerline of the road. Again, I think when most people gun hunt around here, at least I do, sit up in stands and shoot down into the ground so you don't have to worry about a bullet going a few hundred yards and striking a car or something. I absolutely hate Wisconsin's laws concerning firearms. I think most of it is there are too many liberals, especially here in Madison.

I see deer all the time, in fact, since I've had my '08 Volkswagen that I bought new two years ago, I've came about a foot or so away from nailing two deer this year. Good thing my car handles on a dime. Me and my buddy smoked a buck on US HWY 12/18 a year ago in his '96 Camry. It was pretty bad. Didn't total the car out though. Dang deer piss me off sometimes. I see them all the time driving home late at night.

Last edited by hogger129; 07-21-2009 at 03:38 AM.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:41 AM   #30

Most people I know hunt with a 30-06 or a 30-30. I'm going to get my Hunter's Safety Card this fall so I can go hunt. I've always wanted to go hunting, but the land we hunted on got sold the year I could have gotten my Hunter Safety Card. Plus that area where we hunted in Oxford, WI is all a CWD zone. Up here I'm pretty sure it's mandatory to take a Hunter Safety course to hunt deer. I think it's just a one-time dealeo though.