list of states that allow rifle hunting - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > list of states that allow rifle hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 04:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Iowa allows a late center fire deer season doe only. Missouri allows high powered deer season. I think both lottery off out of state licenses.

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:43 AM   #12

Washington state allows rifle hunting throughout the state with just a few areas that are restricted to shotguns and or handguns

Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #13

no rifle hunting in ma, except for bear, the rest is shotgun or bow, no crossbows, except for the handicapped and then by special permit only

Old 07-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #14

TN is cool with it as far as I can tell. I've never hunted but a cousin of mine (yeah, he's a "redneck"... *sigh*) has several deer. I think he's used 30.06 and 30-30, but not positive.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Not always uniform within a state, In Virginia, yes for Western Counties, shotgun for Eastern Counties. Mountains vs flatland. What states are you looking for info on?
I know this is off the thread but......

What counties do they consider western? Do they mean west of Richmond? West of Lynchberg? Could you give specifics on where the east / weat boarders are? I only ask because I will be moving back to VA. in a few years & would like to know before hand. That way I don't get busted hunting w/ improper firearms. What are the bag limits for White tail now? Used to be 3 Buck & 1 Doe per year if I remember correctly. Has it changed? My info is over 11 years old.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #16

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Yeah Indiana on of those states that don't allow rifle hunting just shotguns and bows. You can use straight cased rifles in Indiana though, but no bottleneck cases.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:17 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8835 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Fireahammer- private message me with a snail mail address, and I will send you a copy of the Virginia hunting regs- weapons, seasons, licenses, bag limits. I live just West of Richmond, and In my county you can use anything that does not have wheels or is full auto. Next county North of us (t'other side of the James River) is Shotgun w/ buckshot only. So it is a patchwork- but state guide has county maps showing what/where. Here bag limit is 2/day, 6/season, mainly bucks- BUT season opens in November, closes in JANUARY. West of the Blue Ridge Mountains, 3 week season. Also lot of wild turkey. Where ya settling down in the Commonwealth?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Fireahammer- private message me with a snail mail address, and I will send you a copy of the Virginia hunting regs- weapons, seasons, licenses, bag limits. I live just West of Richmond, and In my county you can use anything that does not have wheels or is full auto. Next county North of us (t'other side of the James River) is Shotgun w/ buckshot only. So it is a patchwork- but state guide has county maps showing what/where. Here bag limit is 2/day, 6/season, mainly bucks- BUT season opens in November, closes in JANUARY. West of the Blue Ridge Mountains, 3 week season. Also lot of wild turkey. Where ya settling down in the Commonwealth?
c3shooter- will do on the private message. That's a lot more liberal than I remember it. My father has 40 acres in Amelia County. I will probably hunt there a bit because he & my step brothers are just about the only people who hunt on his land. His neighbor has 60 acres right next to it that doesn't see much action either. They never harvest more than they can eat, and since all the kids are grown that amounts to 1 or 2 a year per household.
Mississippi's seasons are very liberal. If you hunt archery, primitive weapon, & gun seasons you have the potential to harvest 3 antlered, & 5 antlerless, (3 in gun season 2 more during archery seasons.)
As for where I'm gonna settle down at.... that depends on who's hiring & how much they're willing to pay. I am a firefighter so the pay isn't much & it has to be more then I am making now. I have my eye on Chesterfield & Henrico Counties right now. I intrviewed with Roanoke in 2007 but now I make about 3,000 more than they start their people at, & I can't take a pay cut. I grew up in York County but it's expensive to live anywhere near that area. Even if I work for Chesterfield or Henrico I'll have to live somewhere less expensive & commute in.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:41 AM   #19

Default list of states

You can google any states hunting regulations and they spell out vary clearly what you need to know.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:00 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Most of the western states allow rifle hunting for big game. In Utah, it just needs to be a centerfire rifle or a handgun that produces at least 500 ftlbs energy at the muzzle for deer and pronghorn or a handgun producing 500 ftlbs energy at 100 yards for elk or moose. There are a few areas that a rifle is prohibited due to proximity to housing, but probably 90%+ of the state rifles are allowed.