Lets talk broadheads... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Lets talk broadheads...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEX

I'm goin to buy the swhackers this year, I've had a booner get away with the rage and one get away with the T3 also... Sad sad days... Plus swhacker is doing a buy one pack get a pack free online! Can't beat that!
Saw a non bias test done with nearly all mech broadheads an the swacker put em down in penetration, shot angles, deflections like i said nuthin better

Old 07-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye
I've only shot 6 deer with mechs, and recovered all 6 with ease.
I ran 73-82# and shot heavy aluminums with NAP Spitfires to hedge my bet since a lot of junk science was in the bow mags and shops.
Pinpoint placement, blew through and stuck in the ground every time.

If your bow can't punch a mech through it might not be doing as well as it should with a fixed blade. Paper tune it.

Bump up your FOC and paper tune.

IMHO too many people have form or tune issues and slap on a mech and suddenly get decent grouping. They then think the problem has been solved.

Many times it's merely been masked.........sloppy flight can still be repeatable enough for OK grouping.

Along comes some meat and the arrow doesn't blow through and people go WTH?????

Work your arse off and achieve the best flight you can. Don't get hung up in the speed game, lose a little and get that rig shooting so you can't put more than one fixed blade head in your block at 50 yards, without major risk of nuking it on the next.

My fixed blade heads shoot that good.

But I run a little heavier arrow than some folks, higher FOC and helical feather fletch.

Boring as heck..........the lack of problems
Only way to tune imho is bare shaft an walk back tune, i have zero probs shootin tight groups out to 100 yrds. Now i didnt say shoot gaame at 100 i said shoot groups at 100 yrds, i shoot up to 135 in practice. Start at long range then get shorter in distance

Old 07-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #23

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

hey im new to crossbows can someone tell me if i have to use 20'' arrows with my horton summit 150? or would i be able to use shorter arrows without breaking anything?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #24

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I used to shoot for a local shop and when hunting stock came in we got all kinds of broadheads in. when something new came out we got to try it . I have probably shot 40 different heads over the last couple yrs .
Ramcats are flat dangerous heads also , putting them on without cutting yourself is about a chore and they are devestating in game also . I like em when they can cut going forward or backwards . and those were razor sharp , I have found that tuning was probably the simplest for a fixed blade using the slick tricks . I have never lost a deer with them either actually I have never had anything go over 65 yards and most under 25 .
2 yrs ago I shot a double . 2 does came in I had just gotten to the top of the tree in my climber and they both walked in , smoked the first one and it literally fell over and did not move the other jumped and went around the tree behind me and stopped to look at the other downed doe, reloaded with another slik trick and smoked her also , she took about 10 steps and crashed . A double doesnt happen very often but it sure put a smile on my face

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-13-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
hey im new to crossbows can someone tell me if i have to use 20'' arrows with my horton summit 150? or would i be able to use shorter arrows without breaking anything?
As long as u have clearance from the broadhead to bow u can use what ever length you choose. Cock the crossbow put arrow on mark arrow aprox one inch from the front of the bow, thats where you want your length

Old 07-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #26

Liked 920 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Grim Reapers for me. Shot 6 does one morning and watched 5 drop. The other was shot a little high and went 100yds or so. The others went less than 40yds. and fell over. Watch em drop.

USMC 74-78

Old 07-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller
Grim Reapers for me. Shot 6 does one morning and watched 5 drop. The other was shot a little high and went 100yds or so. The others went less than 40yds. and fell over. Watch em drop.
Isnt it funny tho how many diff broadheads are out these days, all say were the best but they all do the job if you do your part, shot placement, bow tuned up shootin dead nuts, arrow cut an squared the right way, ahh the awesome flight of the deer slayin blood spillin arrow.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #28

Liked 920 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 671

I got into Grim Reapers about 5 yrs. ago, when I spent a year in Fl there lots of the pig guys were using them. Quit a few times a guy got 2 hogs with one shot. Hogs never went far if shot correctly. Same could be said about any broadhead I guess. I just know after lots of deer killed by me and a few friends (175 or so) these and rage seem to drop them the best. My son and I kill 25-30 a year. A young friend kills 15-20 a year. No limit on does where we hunt and the farmers want them gone so we take advantage of a good thing. Give a bunch to a church to feed the needy.

USMC 74-78

Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #29

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

OK thanks, what if i don't use broad heads like im doing target practice? Can i have the bullet point resting on the rail with the shaft?

Old 07-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
OK thanks, what if i don't use broad heads like im doing target practice? Can i have the bullet point resting on the rail with the shaft?
No same deal mark aprox 1 inch past end of bow thats proper length