Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Lets talk broadheads...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasskicker
I use NAP Thunderheads.
Only broadhead to use is the swacker, period. Best one i have ever seen an used

Old 07-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #12

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
. I shoot these Epeks. Check em out you might change your mind.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #13

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1996

Slick Trick Mag 100s here . they fly great and leave devestating wounds for a fixed blade , this one went in behind the shoulder came out mid belly and completely thru the opposite rear leg . Im not a big fan of mechanicals , too much penetration loss and I want 2 holes from them to bleed out of.

Here is a video my son shot for me when he was 12 . First video for him and we were in the stand literally 20 min .

Boy and girls when you shoot one and they dont bleed much and it was a good hit this is the crap that fills the holes and stops external bleeding , This deer did not bleed much and only went about 65 yards due to a plugged lower hole

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #14

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

I was looking into the carbon express F15 they came out with at the beginning of the season last year. I decided to wait and see how it did before I got them.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

I'm goin to buy the swhackers this year, I've had a booner get away with the rage and one get away with the T3 also... Sad sad days... Plus swhacker is doing a buy one pack get a pack free online! Can't beat that!

Old 07-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #16

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
Slick Trick Mag 100s here . they fly great and leave devestating wounds for a fixed blade , this one went in behind the shoulder came out mid belly and completely thru the opposite rear leg . Im not a big fan of mechanicals , too much penetration loss and I want 2 holes from them to bleed out of.

Here is a video my son shot for me when he was 12 . First video for him and we were in the stand literally 20 min .

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY1JKkL6B6I

Boy and girls when you shoot one and they dont bleed much and it was a good hit this is the crap that fills the holes and stops external bleeding , This deer did not bleed much and only went about 65 yards due to a plugged lower hole
As fast as that bow is there should be NO lack of penetration w a mechanical. My bowtech assassin 3 will punch a 125 gr rage 2 blade through a deers front shoulders at 60 yards so. My phantoms and slick tricks DO have more punch though. I do have to agree w you on that.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #17

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
As fast as that bow is there should be NO lack of penetration w a mechanical. My bowtech assassin 3 will punch a 125 gr rage 2 blade through a deers front shoulders at 60 yards so. My phantoms and slick tricks DO have more punch though. I do have to agree w you on that.
That bow right there in the pic is by no means fast its a 08 bowtech general , 286 fps at 61# with my hunting arrow . They dont need to be fast when there that quiet

Old 07-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #18

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

That bow right there in the pic is by no means fast its a 08 bowtech general , 286 fps at 61# with my hunting arrow . They dont need to be fast when there that quiet
No they don't but the generals are still pretty fast.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #19

Liked 143 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

When I shoot 55# or more in a recurve I use a Magnus Snuffer 125 gr. Arrow weight is right around 500 grains and my FOC is 18%. Blows right through. Makes a big hole on both sides

Compounds I run 11-18% FOC and my arrow weight is closer to 430grains. Draw weight is 70-72#, and I go by old P&Y and stay 65% letoff. Draw length is 28" with release. Paper tune shows beautiful flight.

I have shot Blazer vanes, with Magnus Stinger 125's w bleeders. And 125 gr Strikers. Did fantastic.

But I like the looks of feathers and shoot my trad gear off the shelf. Switched from 5" helicals to 4" and get great flight. I run 4" feathers, helical, on everything now, even big heads out of drop aways and twin cams.

IMHO carbon spine charts are less than perfect. I like the Goldtip arrow system due to the ability to weight tune for great flight and FOC.

I will run Magnus Stingers again this yr, if I run a compound fingers or decide to go trad (50-55#).

Last edited by Hookeye; 07-13-2012 at 05:32 AM.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #20

Liked 143 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've only shot 6 deer with mechs, and recovered all 6 with ease.
I ran 73-82# and shot heavy aluminums with NAP Spitfires to hedge my bet since a lot of junk science was in the bow mags and shops.
Pinpoint placement, blew through and stuck in the ground every time.

If your bow can't punch a mech through it might not be doing as well as it should with a fixed blade. Paper tune it.

Bump up your FOC and paper tune.

IMHO too many people have form or tune issues and slap on a mech and suddenly get decent grouping. They then think the problem has been solved.

Many times it's merely been masked.........sloppy flight can still be repeatable enough for OK grouping.

Along comes some meat and the arrow doesn't blow through and people go WTH?????

Work your arse off and achieve the best flight you can. Don't get hung up in the speed game, lose a little and get that rig shooting so you can't put more than one fixed blade head in your block at 50 yards, without major risk of nuking it on the next.

My fixed blade heads shoot that good.

But I run a little heavier arrow than some folks, higher FOC and helical feather fletch.

Boring as heck..........the lack of problems