leopard guns - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > leopard guns

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,160
Liked 2024 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Yeah, interesting. I'd like to see some support for that idea. Until then, I can't get behind killing an animal like that for fun. Sorry.

And, is it the american hunters themselves, or the regulations put on them? When the american hunters were left to their own devices, they hunted the buffalo to extinction......
Professional hunters who were contracted by the Army, Railroads, miners and the hide market, almost hunted the buffalo into extinction. That was not sport hunting. Many big game species are more numerous in 2013 than they were in 1776.

You listed several rifles that are just fine for leopard. You need a larger caliber rifle to deal with dangerous game you might encounter. The 45/70 is the only gun on your list that was adequate. It's a trip of a lifetime. Splurge on a nice rifle that the caliber was developed from a 416 rigby case. You will have a true big game rifle.
__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato


Last edited by John_Deer; 10-20-2013 at 02:15 AM.
John_Deer is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,066
Liked 740 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 772

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Professional hunters who were contracted by the Army, Railroads, miners and the hide market, almost hunted the buffalo into extinction. That was not sport hunting. Many big game species are more numerous in 2013 than they were in 1776.

You listed several rifles that are just fine for leopard. You need a larger caliber rifle to deal with dangerous game you might encounter. The 45/70 is the only gun on your list that was adequate. It's a trip of a lifetime. Splurge on a nice rifle that the caliber was developed from a 416 rigby case. You will have a true big game rifle.
The .375 H&H is the standard(Minimum). .416 Rigby is on my list though. So is 9.3x62.
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21986 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Professional hunters who were contracted by the Army, Railroads, miners and the hide market, almost hunted the buffalo into extinction. That was not sport hunting. Many big game species are more numerous in 2013 than they were in 1776.

You listed several rifles that are just fine for leopard. You need a larger caliber rifle to deal with dangerous game you might encounter. The 45/70 is the only gun on your list that was adequate. It's a trip of a lifetime. Splurge on a nice rifle that the caliber was developed from a 416 rigby case. You will have a true big game rifle.
the 45-70 was produced from the 50-70 cartridge, in 1873. the 416 Rigby was first available in 1911.

so how could the 45-70 come from the 416 Rigby, when it would be almost 40 years before it was even made?
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ShagNasty1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,526
Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
the 45-70 was produced from the 50-70 cartridge, in 1873. the 416 Rigby was first available in 1911. so how could the 45-70 come from the 416 Rigby, when it would be almost 40 years before it was even made?
I think he means that the 45-70 is the closest to an acceptable cartridge and to splurge on a new rifle in a bigger cartridge based off the 416 Rigby
__________________
ShagNasty1001 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,378
Liked 279 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

molsin Talk to your PH you will be hunting with and use his advise on what firearms to bring or just use theres.

__________________
hardluk1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gonzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,787
Liked 273 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Default

I saw a video of an actor who shot a leopard in a hide over bait. He used a .370 Sako which is close to a 375 HH. Designed to be more manageable.

If budget is an issue - Ruger makes an African & Alaskan in .375 Ruger which exceeds 375 HH performance in a shorter & lighter package. Recoil, well, it will be memorable.

IMHO: 375 HH - needs a 9 lb + platform to handle recoil.

Dangerous Game Rifles - biggest one you can shoot BUT you must be able shoot it. "Know Thyself" - Delphi or where ever you plan to hunt. If you put out bait in Africa, you should be prepared for "whatever" shows up for dinner.

Last point: there is a difference between killing vs stopping power. Lions are particularly nasty as they seem to fixate on one person and only stop when dead.

__________________
Gonzilla is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #27
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,918
Liked 5920 Times on 3091 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Interesting! How so? Got some good articles I can read on it? I love to hunt and am interested in conservation, but not from the freaky leftist PETA standpoint.
When you hunt for trophy your more interested in species management such as preserving female young bearing age animals culling out unfit males and overaged adults taken as trophy animals.

Responsible hunting and managed hunts preserve species. White tail are perfect example. You don't see many if any trophy deer in states where there isn't much hunting.

Mountain goats, pronghorn, mule deer , etc. All are managed trophy species.

Perfect example the endangered asian water buffalo thriving on game ranches world wide and even cull hunted in australia!!

A decent short read, evidence is right there. In their native habitat hunting is strictly forbidden and the population declines steadily through attrition and poaching. When there is a vested interest in preservation active interest is taken to stop poaching.

http://www.silvertineexotichunts.com/asian-waterbuffalo.html

In africa, where hunting is strictly prohibited big and dangerous game are almost extinct. In areas with managed hunts the money and interest is to preserve the species to keep making money.

Its not rocket science but it flies in the face of peta propoganda. Game management is one of the few things most govts, that take an interest in promoting, do well.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,160
Liked 2024 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
When you hunt for trophy your more interested in species management such as preserving female young bearing age animals culling out unfit males and overaged adults taken as trophy animals.

Responsible hunting and managed hunts preserve species. White tail are perfect example. You don't see many if any trophy deer in states where there isn't much hunting.

Mountain goats, pronghorn, mule deer , etc. All are managed trophy species.

Perfect example the endangered asian water buffalo thriving on game ranches world wide and even cull hunted in australia!!

A decent short read, evidence is right there. In their native habitat hunting is strictly forbidden and the population declines steadily through attrition and poaching. When there is a vested interest in preservation active interest is taken to stop poaching.

http://www.silvertineexotichunts.com/asian-waterbuffalo.html

In africa, where hunting is strictly prohibited big and dangerous game are almost extinct. In areas with managed hunts the money and interest is to preserve the species to keep making money.

Its not rocket science but it flies in the face of peta propoganda. Game management is one of the few things most govts, that take an interest in promoting, do well.
PETA did unsuccessfully sue big game ranches in TX that have endangered species living there. Many of these animals are extinct in their native countries. The lawyer representing the game ranches was straightforward. He said the hunting of animals that are too old to breed finances the survival of these species.
__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #29
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,918
Liked 5920 Times on 3091 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
PETA did unsuccessfully sue big game ranches in TX that have endangered species living there. Many of these animals are extinct in their native countries. The lawyer representing the game ranches was straightforward. He said the hunting of animals that are too old to breed finances the survival of these species.

Exactly. A lot of those type places in texas export a percentage of endangered species for reintroduction. Just dooms the exported animals since no attempt to manage them in the original country is really made.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Sons of guns and American guns off air??? lbwar15 The Club House 14 01-01-2013 10:24 PM
Guns we dont need no stinkin guns!! JonM Other Weapons 40 10-24-2012 05:28 AM
40,000 lbs of guns melted down by LAPD - LAPD Implies Owning Guns Is Illegal crowbar Legal and Activism 17 02-25-2010 02:28 AM
Video: Guns, Guns, Guns sculker The Club House 15 02-22-2010 01:53 AM