Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > leopard guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosin762 View Post
I'm thinking about going leopard hunting but I can't decide on what caliber I want.

30-06
.300 wsm
7.62x54r mosin
12 gauge sabot slug
45-70

Are the last three on the list even big enough for a leopard?
last three on the list are some of the best cat rounds. although the 45-70 in a good levergun is probably the best of the bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Honest to God, WHF would you want to shoot a leopard? "Because I can, and because I have the money" isn't a good enough reason, IMHO. Now, if you are willing to hang a steak off your back, and go armed with a .22 revolver - cool, sent us, I mean make sure your guide sends us the video.
despite lefty propoganda, organized regulated trophy hunting is the absolute best way to preserve a species. american hunters have done more to preserve game species in america than all the fruitloop patchoulie dipped hippies put together ever dreamed of.

want to preserve wolves spotted owls polar bears etc open them for regulated trophy hunts.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 10-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2191 Times on 1213 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
last three on the list are some of the best cat rounds. although the 45-70 in a good levergun is probably the best of the bunch. despite lefty propoganda, organized regulated trophy hunting is the absolute best way to preserve a species. american hunters have done more to preserve game species in america than all the fruitloop patchoulie dipped hippies put together ever dreamed of. want to preserve wolves spotted owls polar bears etc open them for regulated trophy hunts.
Interesting! How so? Got some good articles I can read on it? I love to hunt and am interested in conservation, but not from the freaky leftist PETA standpoint.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #13

Liked 816 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Quote:
Interesting! How so? Got some good articles I can read on it? I love to hunt and am interested in conservation, but not from the freaky leftist PETA standpoint.
Yeah, interesting. I'd like to see some support for that idea. Until then, I can't get behind killing an animal like that for fun. Sorry.

And, is it the american hunters themselves, or the regulations put on them? When the american hunters were left to their own devices, they hunted the buffalo to extinction......
Old 10-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Quote:
Yeah, interesting. I'd like to see some support for that idea. Until then, I can't get behind killing an animal like that for fun. Sorry.

And, is it the american hunters themselves, or the regulations put on them? When the american hunters were left to their own devices, they hunted the buffalo to extinction......
Are hunters required to join organizations such as the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, National Wild Turkey Federation, Pheasants Forever, etc.? These organizations and their ilk support habitat improvement, reintroduction of species to historical ranges, hunter education and ultimately conservation.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5796 Times on 3167 Posts
Likes Given: 10967

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
When the american hunters were left to their own devices, they hunted the buffalo to extinction......
Not hunters. The federal government endorsed exterminating bison to cause the natives to either move or starve. The army was also involved.

No offense and none taken

People Like This 
Old 10-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

My opinion about hunting dangerous game in Africa :

Lions and leopards - they come into villages and kill livestock, pets, and sometimes villagers.

Hippos and crocodiles - knock over fishing boats and sometimes attack people that need to use natural resources that come from the local bodies of water.

Elephants, rhinos and Buffalo - the meat goes to local tribes.

I believe we owe them this as a portion of compensation for the injustice of slavery.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2191 Times on 1213 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosin762
My opinion about hunting dangerous game in Africa : Lions and leopards - they come into villages and kill livestock, pets, and sometimes villagers. Hippos and crocodiles - knock over fishing boats and sometimes attack people that need to use natural resources that come from the local bodies of water. Elephants, rhinos and Buffalo - the meat goes to local tribes. I believe we owe them this as a portion of compensation for the injustice of slavery.
I don't want to turn this into PRC. But I don't owe ANYBODY ANYTHING for the injustice of slavery. I don't take responsibility for ANYTHING that happened before 1833.

Or 1964 for that matter. I owe debts for the things that I have done. ME. Not some plantation owner 170 something years ago.

And the civil war was fought over STATE RIGHTS. NOT SLAVERY.

There. I've said my peace. I'll go sit in the corner now and suck on my thumb some more.

Continue on all! Nothing to see here.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-19-2013 at 05:57 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #18

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'd eat leopard.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19563 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
last three on the list are some of the best cat rounds. although the 45-70 in a good levergun is probably the best of the bunch.

despite lefty propoganda, organized regulated trophy hunting is the absolute best way to preserve a species. american hunters have done more to preserve game species in america than all the fruitloop patchoulie dipped hippies put together ever dreamed of.

want to preserve wolves spotted owls polar bears etc open them for regulated trophy hunts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Are hunters required to join organizations such as the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, National Wild Turkey Federation, Pheasants Forever, etc.? These organizations and their ilk support habitat improvement, reintroduction of species to historical ranges, hunter education and ultimately conservation.
lots of the money made from the sale of hunting licenses help support game conservation. responsible and ethical hunting helps many species of game animals survive from disease and starvation. there are many organizations that help with the survival of many game species with huge donations to conservation programs.

and in some ways you are correct about the buffalos, but that was different time and there were not organizations helping protect the buffalo like there are now. also look at the American alligator in many of the lower southern states. hunted almost to exinction itself for many years, unregulated, until it was stopped. now those states have much stricter controls, like permits, seasons and limits on the alligator.

in some ways i completely understand your viewpoint and agree with you. personally, i never was a trophy hunter when i did hunt years ago. i was taught that you only killed what you were going to eat of for defence. i don't hunt anymore myself, but still support responsible and ethical hunting practices as it helps game species survive and thrive.
limbkiller Likes This 
Old 10-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #20

Liked 327 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I don't want to turn this into PRC. But I don't owe ANYBODY ANYTHING for the injustice of slavery. I don't take responsibility for ANYTHING that happened before 1833.

Or 1964 for that matter. I owe debts for the things that I have done. ME. Not some plantation owner 170 something years ago.

And the civil war was fought over STATE RIGHTS. NOT SLAVERY.

There. I've said my peace. I'll go sit in the corner now and suck on my thumb some more.

Continue on all! Nothing to see here.
Hunters are the only true conservationists as we keep animal populations in check by culling if need be and taking out sick and injured animals.
You only have to look at how Africa manages it game populations that are now in a real healthy state compared to a century ago because hunters have made the commitment to help preserve them no matter what some raving idiot tree hugger says.
It's the same in Australia, USA, UK and other country's hunters preserving animals for future generations to either hunt or build up their numbers because of deprivation by feral animals,disease etc.

We do more for animal preservation than any Animal Libber whacko does in 10 years of waffling on an dthose tv adds where they show animals in pain and being "persecuted" and can you send $xxxx amount every year to help these animals would have to be 1 of the biggest con jobs going around.

You blokes will want to be veerrryyy careful with the "sorry" bit on slavery it can and will open up all sorts of nasty bastardry.

Case in point is with our Aboriginals and the "stolen generation" that happened about 50 years ago(I think) where Aboriginal children were taken off their parents and put into foster care because it was deemed that they were not being properly looked after.

Now come forward and the Aboriginal "stolen generation" has been looking for an apology from the "Whitey's" who caused all this and successive PM's have avoided saying "SORRY!" because they knew what would entail with claims for compensation.

Of course 1 PM did fall for the trap and now it's opened up all sorts of **** and caused more divisive problems between blacks and whites. Sad that this happened and broke up family's but I'll not be responsible for things that happened years before I was born and suffer accordingly.

As it now stands the Aboriginals get handouts from our govt. as it is and they're in a better position than most of us "whitey's" as they get paid to send their kids to school and the reverse racism is unbelievable as they call us invaders and murderers but will still accept money handouts from the govt. and vast tracts of land given to them.

There is a great lot of them that just piss it up the wall on alcohol and drugs and abuse their own kids but they're given job chances and more priviledges than any white people a case of too much given too quickly to a people who don't appreciate what they've been given and this is in part to people who have gotten into the act as "advisors" and are making a small fortune out of it.

That's basically a condensed version of what's happened with us but there's a lot more than that to it and there's a lot of white Aussies who are really pissed off with the Abo's and their attitudes to we white people.

Now having said that there is also a lot of very good sportsmen and women and hardworking Aboriginals amongst us that do a lot for their people and these have a lot of respect from everybody so it's a 2 way street at times and I've played sport with and against some Aboriginals and they're good people but like everybody they're tarred with the actions of the minority.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Last edited by hairbear1; 10-19-2013 at 09:14 PM.
People Like This