Lamb killers deterred - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Lamb killers deterred

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 379 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Went out again last night to a new farm to thin out some Kangaroos under permit as they're now almost in plague proportions something not wanted now as the cropping season is not far away. We saw about 4-6 foxes missed 1 and the son nailed 2 1 with his Stevens .223 and 1 with my Ruger M77 in 22/250AI. The 1st 1 fell into a heap of blackberry bushes and couldn't be found but the 2nd fox wasn't so lucky as a 60gn Hornady Varmint pill crashed into his heart lung area at a guesstimated 150yds.

another-dead-fox.jpg  

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 10-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #22

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1
Went out again last night to a new farm to thin out some Kangaroos under permit as they're now almost in plague proportions something not wanted now as the cropping season is not far away. We saw about 4-6 foxes missed 1 and the son nailed 2 1 with his Stevens .223 and 1 with my Ruger M77 in 22/250AI. The 1st 1 fell into a heap of blackberry bushes and couldn't be found but the 2nd fox wasn't so lucky as a 60gn Hornady Varmint pill crashed into his heart lung area at a guesstimated 150yds.
Nice. Do you have any kangaroo photos? I have a friend that ranches(or rather her parents/family) near Melbin(I think that is the name. On the south east with coast land?) she would tell stories of shooting them year round. I've always wanted to go to their ranch. They also have a beach that hosts some large surf comps on their land.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnjonny View Post
Nice. Do you have any kangaroo photos? I have a friend that ranches(or rather her parents/family) near Melbin(I think that is the name. On the south east with coast land?) she would tell stories of shooting them year round. I've always wanted to go to their ranch. They also have a beach that hosts some large surf comps on their land.
Down here they're called farms with the bigger places of a couple of thousand square miles called stations and it's called Melbourne(capital of Victoria).
It sounds like they live at or near Bell's Beach that hosts part of the world surfing championships.

To shoot kangaroos down here farmers have to have permits to cull them as they're a protected species or you have to do a TAFE(Technical And Further Education) course on handling and preparing them for human and animal consumption and Parks and Wildlife can only issue these permits.

this is a red Kangaroo which is the largest of our Kangaroos but there's also Grey kangaroo's as well plus a few other different species.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com.au/animals/mammals/red-kangaroo/

Don't believe any of the tree hugger's hype and lies that these animals are becoming rare because it's estimated that since white man has landed and farmed Australia Kangaroo populations have increased dramatically in 200 years because of cropping and the installation of permanent dams on farms meaning better food and more permanent water.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I find myself wondering if anybody tans the hides of the kangaroo and makes their pouches into useful handbags or messenger bags. I think that would be a pretty cool possibles bag for muzzle loading.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I find myself wondering if anybody tans the hides of the kangaroo and makes their pouches into useful handbags or messenger bags. I think that would be a pretty cool possibles bag for muzzle loading.
Haven't seen a tanned 'roo hide for a fair while not saying that it isn't still done though.
They used to use the male 'roo's scrotum as a purse back in the 1800's and into the last century as well not sure if this is still done either.
I have seen a roo hide turned into a rifle scabbard as well and also used as a floor rug and bed cover.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7438 Times on 4059 Posts
Likes Given: 15298

Whips are made from kangaroo leather.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 10-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #27

We added another 2 foxes to the weekend total on Saturday night using the .223.

My son hit both of these while they were wandering around and not showing any interest in sitting still so my son dropped them making the farmer real happy as he had lambs on the ground.

saturday-night-fox3.jpg   saturday-night-fox4.jpg  

People Like This 
Old 10-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Good size critters. Does the farmer give you a bounty for a successful harvest?

Old 10-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Good size critters. Does the farmer give you a bounty for a successful harvest?
No mate just his undying gratitude for getting rid of ferals that have the ability to destroy his income plus it gives us a good name around the area for helping out which in return can get us on to more places to hunt especially if it involves getting on to pigs.........................love pig shooting best fun you can have with your clothes on. .

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 10-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

A Win Win deal. Nice.