Lamb killers deterred - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Lamb killers deterred

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The average price for a fox pelt is $48.87. The top lot brought $90 per red fox pelt. You get under $15 a pelt because your pelts look like chit.

http://www.furharvesters.com/results/2013/June/june13us.pdf
Could be because he is from Australia????

Old 10-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #12

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
It might be the fox in Australia don't grow a lush winter coat. I have no clue about selling pelts in Australia. It could be he is dealing with a middleman that pays nothing and sells for top dollar. Local fur buyers here try to buy fox pelts cheap and say the pelt market is dead. Most knowledgeable fox hunters avoid these parasites like the plague. If hides are worth $50 in the US they have to be worth considerably more in Asia.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3864 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
It might be the fox in Australia don't grow a lush winter coat. I have no clue about selling pelts in Australia. It could be he is dealing with a middleman that pays nothing and sells for top dollar. Local fur buyers here try to buy fox pelts cheap and say the pelt market is dead. Most knowledgeable fox hunters avoid these parasites like the plague. If hides are worth $50 in the US they have to be worth considerably more in Asia.
No need for full coats in Australia. I only hunt fox for fur during the winter. The rest of the time for population control and livestock protection.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
I wonder, are all the foxes of the same species? I would find that hard to believe.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #15

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I wonder, are all the foxes of the same species? I would find that hard to believe.
I am not an expert but isnt Australia a fairly warm place. i do know that the best fur are collected during winter or from colder climates
Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 10-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #16

Liked 534 Times on 286 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
The average price for a fox pelt is $48.87. The top lot brought $90 per red fox pelt. You get under $15 a pelt because your pelts look like chit.

http://www.furharvesters.com/results/2013/June/june13us.pdf
That's a bit harsh coming from somebody who knows nothing about the Australian fur trade and how it worked and how the fur buyers wanted them pegged out. Some of the foxes we've shot this Winter have been the size of Cattle dogs with coats that are very thick and in good times would've fetched big money.

Our Winter skin season starts around April and ends around the end of July when the foxes start pairing up and although we don't get -20 degree nights our skins are still valued around the skin trade for coats etc. We only have the European Red Fox here in Australia and the better skins come from the Eastern side of Australia more so in the alpine type country. The foxes from the Western plains are the same fox but smaller in size.

Our prices were killed by the animal lib wankers back in the '90's and have never recovered. The market used to support skin prices up to and including $60 per pelt but up to this season the they averaged around $13 - $15 per pelt.
Talking to a mate at the pub yesterday afternoon after work and he told me that the prices this season had jumped to $28 per pelt which is definitely worth chasing but the season is now finished.

Like Jagermeister during Summer we shoot them for control but in Winter for profit...............well we used to anyway.

If the prices start off above $25 next season I'll be getting stuck into them real quick.

Last edited by hairbear1; 10-03-2013 at 08:39 PM.
towboater Likes This 
Old 10-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3864 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
That's a bit harsh coming from somebody who knows nothing about the Australian fur trade and how it worked and how the fur buyers wanted them pegged out. Some of the foxes we've shot this Winter have been the size of Cattle dogs with coats that are very thick and in good times would've fetched big money.

Our prices were killed by the animal lib wankers back in the '90's and have never recovered. The market used to support skin prices up to and including $60 per pelt but up to this season the they averaged around $13 - $15 per pelt.
Talking to a mate at the pub yesterday afternoon after work and he told me that the prices this season had jumped to $28 per pelt which is definitely worth chasing but the season is now finished.

If the prices start off above $25 next season I'll be getting stuck into them real quick.
Awsome to hear they get their full coats after all. How cold does it get in the Winter?

Old 10-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Awsome to hear they get their full coats after all. How cold does it get in the Winter?
At night with a good frost it can touch -10+C in some places but around here it can hit -5+C. The days sometimes might reach 10+ degrees C admittedly not as cold as Europe or the USA gets because we're at a lower latitude but it can still curl your toes up.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #19

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Not much of the red fox harvest is sold in the US. In Asian countries the red fox is seen as "magical" for lack of a better word. The Asians that believe the red fox has supernatural powers want their shoes and coats to have red fox trim.

I sell a couple pelts every year to an Asian seamstress that believes the red fox is a protector. Believe it or not the strip center where her shop was located burned down, except for her shop. The clothing and materials were smoke damaged but none of her machinery was damaged. She has a shop in a much nicer location now.

Australia is a lot closer to Asia than the US. It seems that the AU fur market would be close to the US fur market.

When I made the look like chit comment I thought the poster was in the US. I hope he will accept my apology. We haven't seen $15 for a red fox pelt since the 1970's.

Last edited by John_Deer; 10-04-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Not much of the red fox harvest is sold in the US. In Asian countries the red fox is seen as "magical" for lack of a better word. The Asians that believe the red fox has supernatural powers want their shoes and coats to have red fox trim.

I sell a couple pelts every year to an Asian seamstress that believes the red fox is a protector. Believe it or not the strip center where her shop was located burned down, except for her shop. The clothing and materials were smoke damaged but none of her machinery was damaged. She has a shop in a much nicer location now.

Australia is a lot closer to Asia than the US. It seems that the AU fur market would be close to the US fur market.

When I made the look like chit comment I thought the poster was in the US. I hope he will accept my apology. We haven't seen $15 for a red fox pelt since the 1970's.
No worries mate I reckoned you didn't know that I was talking about Australia hence why I posted that it was in Australia.
A fair bit of our skins used to go to Europe don't know about the Asian market as I haven't shot for skins for years so things may be different since the '80's.