Lamb killers deterred
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Lamb killers deterred

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 374 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Lamb killers deterred

Went out Friday night for a bit of a fox attitude adjustment spolighting session on a farmer's place that has lambs dropping everywhere.

We saw about 6 foxes and nailed 3 but due to the long grass couldn't find 2 of them.

My son dropped this fella with my RugerM77 22/250AI using 60gn Hornady Varmint projectiles in front of 35.5gns of AR2208(Varget).
He was about 150yds away when he stopped 1 with his head.

This makes about 30+ foxes we've taken out in the past few months on different property's.

head-shot-fox.jpg  

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 769 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 225

I never hunted fox. Thought they would be smaller. I thought they did not pack, or was it just a case of six loners. Nice shooting for your boy.
Can't blame the fox too much, lamb is good eating.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 09-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
I never hunted fox. Thought they would be smaller. I thought they did not pack, or was it just a case of six loners. Nice shooting for your boy.
Can't blame the fox too much, lamb is good eating.
Fox's don't pack up. Only time you see foxes together is at mating time which is around July/August other than that they are loners.
Lambs are worth a fair bit of money and a couple of foxes can rip the stuffing out of a mob of sheep with lambs over a period of time so they get shot or baited.
Their skins used to worth anything up to $60 at 1 time till the bloody Animal Rights idiots stuck their snouts in and killed the fur trade.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 3175

We have very few foxes here: Too many coyotes. The coyotes get about one-third of the fawns every year.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1585 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
Fox's don't pack up. Only time you see foxes together is at mating time which is around July/August other than that they are loners.
Lambs are worth a fair bit of money and a couple of foxes can rip the stuffing out of a mob of sheep with lambs over a period of time so they get shot or baited.
Their skins used to worth anything up to $60 at 1 time till the bloody Animal Rights idiots stuck their snouts in and killed the fur trade.
Fox pelts are still worth good money. In fact, with the high demand for fox pelts in Asia fox pelts were at an all time high at last years fur auction. You can't blow up the pelt with an expanding bullet. To get full value for your pelts you need to take the fox with a FMJ 22 LR. If you have no experience drying pelts start with nutria or muskrat. Drying the pelt for a good presentation affects the value of your lot greatly.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

We have too many fox. The German government spread rabies vaccination in food througout the forests, without thinking about the consequences of smaller game and livestock. A freaking disaster. We hunters have a big chore keeping the population down. We are their only predators. Never mess with the cycle of life.

037.jpg  

Old 10-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #7

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
We have too many fox. The German government spread rabies vaccination in food througout the forests, without thinking about the consequences of smaller game and livestock. A freaking disaster. We hunters have a big chore keeping the population down. We are their only predators. Never mess with the cycle of life.
If you all need any help, I'll be glad to pay for a ticket to Germany. What could be better? Fox hunting And beer. :-)
Old 10-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Mary had a little lamb...and a badass scope.

If the furs aren't worth selling, perhaps it would be interesting to try your son's hand at tanning the hide, maybe making a purse for a girlfriend or a nice wall piece.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

towboater Likes This 
Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Fox pelts are still worth good money. In fact, with the high demand for fox pelts in Asia fox pelts were at an all time high at last years fur auction. You can't blow up the pelt with an expanding bullet. To get full value for your pelts you need to take the fox with a FMJ 22 LR. If you have no experience drying pelts start with nutria or muskrat. Drying the pelt for a good presentation affects the value of your lot greatly.
I used to use my .222 and a 45gn Speer SP loaded with 20gns of powder and either a chest shot front on or a head shot as there is minimal pelt damage. After skinning we'd peg them out to dry and then sell them to a fur buyer but since they're probably lucky to be worth $15 tops it's easier to spread their brains over the paddock and move onto the next victim.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1585 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
I used to use my .222 and a 45gn Speer SP loaded with 20gns of powder and either a chest shot front on or a head shot as there is minimal pelt damage. After skinning we'd peg them out to dry and then sell them to a fur buyer but since they're probably lucky to be worth $15 tops it's easier to spread their brains over the paddock and move onto the next victim.
The average price for a fox pelt is $48.87. The top lot brought $90 per red fox pelt. You get under $15 a pelt because your pelts look like chit.

http://www.furharvesters.com/results/2013/June/june13us.pdf

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato