Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Lamb killers deterred (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/lamb-killers-deterred-97785/)

hairbear1 09-28-2013 10:16 PM

Lamb killers deterred

1 Attachment(s)
Went out Friday night for a bit of a fox attitude adjustment spolighting session on a farmer's place that has lambs dropping everywhere.

We saw about 6 foxes and nailed 3 but due to the long grass couldn't find 2 of them.

My son dropped this fella with my RugerM77 22/250AI using 60gn Hornady Varmint projectiles in front of 35.5gns of AR2208(Varget).
He was about 150yds away when he stopped 1 with his head.

This makes about 30+ foxes we've taken out in the past few months on different property's.

25-5 09-28-2013 10:33 PM

I never hunted fox. Thought they would be smaller. I thought they did not pack, or was it just a case of six loners. Nice shooting for your boy.
Can't blame the fox too much, lamb is good eating.

hairbear1 09-28-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 25-5 (Post 1386601)
I never hunted fox. Thought they would be smaller. I thought they did not pack, or was it just a case of six loners. Nice shooting for your boy.
Can't blame the fox too much, lamb is good eating.

Fox's don't pack up. Only time you see foxes together is at mating time which is around July/August other than that they are loners.
Lambs are worth a fair bit of money and a couple of foxes can rip the stuffing out of a mob of sheep with lambs over a period of time so they get shot or baited.
Their skins used to worth anything up to $60 at 1 time till the bloody Animal Rights idiots stuck their snouts in and killed the fur trade.

alsaqr 09-28-2013 11:09 PM

We have very few foxes here: Too many coyotes. The coyotes get about one-third of the fawns every year.

John_Deer 10-02-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairbear1 (Post 1386606)
Fox's don't pack up. Only time you see foxes together is at mating time which is around July/August other than that they are loners.
Lambs are worth a fair bit of money and a couple of foxes can rip the stuffing out of a mob of sheep with lambs over a period of time so they get shot or baited.
Their skins used to worth anything up to $60 at 1 time till the bloody Animal Rights idiots stuck their snouts in and killed the fur trade.

Fox pelts are still worth good money. In fact, with the high demand for fox pelts in Asia fox pelts were at an all time high at last years fur auction. You can't blow up the pelt with an expanding bullet. To get full value for your pelts you need to take the fox with a FMJ 22 LR. If you have no experience drying pelts start with nutria or muskrat. Drying the pelt for a good presentation affects the value of your lot greatly.

Jagermeister 10-02-2013 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We have too many fox. The German government spread rabies vaccination in food througout the forests, without thinking about the consequences of smaller game and livestock. A freaking disaster. We hunters have a big chore keeping the population down. We are their only predators. Never mess with the cycle of life.

CaseyChadwell 10-02-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister (Post 1390660)
We have too many fox. The German government spread rabies vaccination in food througout the forests, without thinking about the consequences of smaller game and livestock. A freaking disaster. We hunters have a big chore keeping the population down. We are their only predators. Never mess with the cycle of life.

If you all need any help, I'll be glad to pay for a ticket to Germany. What could be better? Fox hunting And beer. :-)

orangello 10-02-2013 07:34 PM

Mary had a little lamb...and a badass scope.

If the furs aren't worth selling, perhaps it would be interesting to try your son's hand at tanning the hide, maybe making a purse for a girlfriend or a nice wall piece.

hairbear1 10-02-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1390656)
Fox pelts are still worth good money. In fact, with the high demand for fox pelts in Asia fox pelts were at an all time high at last years fur auction. You can't blow up the pelt with an expanding bullet. To get full value for your pelts you need to take the fox with a FMJ 22 LR. If you have no experience drying pelts start with nutria or muskrat. Drying the pelt for a good presentation affects the value of your lot greatly.

I used to use my .222 and a 45gn Speer SP loaded with 20gns of powder and either a chest shot front on or a head shot as there is minimal pelt damage. After skinning we'd peg them out to dry and then sell them to a fur buyer but since they're probably lucky to be worth $15 tops it's easier to spread their brains over the paddock and move onto the next victim.

John_Deer 10-03-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairbear1 (Post 1390849)
I used to use my .222 and a 45gn Speer SP loaded with 20gns of powder and either a chest shot front on or a head shot as there is minimal pelt damage. After skinning we'd peg them out to dry and then sell them to a fur buyer but since they're probably lucky to be worth $15 tops it's easier to spread their brains over the paddock and move onto the next victim.

The average price for a fox pelt is $48.87. The top lot brought $90 per red fox pelt. You get under $15 a pelt because your pelts look like chit.

http://www.furharvesters.com/results/2013/June/june13us.pdf