Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Knives....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Knives....

The last few weeks I have been puchasing items for my first deer camp next year. Im at the point of purchasing a field dressing knife? Can anyone recommend anything? Any and all options are greatly appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #2

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK73
The last few weeks I have been puchasing items for my first deer camp next year. Im at the point of purchasing a field dressing knife? Can anyone recommend anything? Any and all options are greatly appreciated!
Price range?

Old 01-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #3

I really don't want something cheap, from Wallyworld. Excellent blade steel that holds up. I don't have a price range really, let's set the price at $120 max.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #4

Quote:
I really don't want something cheap, from Wallyworld. Excellent blade steel that holds up. I don't have a price range really, let's set the price at $120 max.
There is a MULTITUDE of F/D knives in that price range, many very good ones. My brother is the deer hunter of the family, and he swears by Muela. Case knives are very good as well, in my opinion. There are many custom knifemakers, typically beyond that price point but it's another option.

AG Russell has a very good selection, and they typically have nothing to do with junky stuff. You might check them out.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:17 AM   #5

Ok. Great gives me a starting point, I have been searching Google for a week now reading different articles.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Ok. Great gives me a starting point, I have been searching Google for a week now reading different articles.
Yeah...you could talk about good blades from now til the sun burns out, and not get around to all of them.

Happy hunting!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1538 Times on 940 Posts
Likes Given: 7831

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK73 View Post
The Buck Pathfinder (model # 105) is a medium sized, well made knife for well under $120. I have had mine for close to 30 years, and it still serves me well as a field dressing knife. Leather sheath, black cocobola handle,5 in. curved blade with a false edge, and a perfect balance point make it an easy to use knife that you could easily pass down to your grandkids.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #8

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Buck 110 folder is like $30 at walmart and is a dang good knife. Buck has alot of really good knives under your top price.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

+ 1 on the Buck 110 , I've had one for years but you also might want to look into a fixed blade with a non slip handle as things can and do get slick when doing the inside work. I have a Schrade with gut hook, holds an edge pretty good and have done 4 deer with out having to sharpen.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 555

I have almost as many knives as I do guns.I love my Muela fixed blades,they are made in Spain using German stainless steel.They come razor sharp,and really keep a good edge.I can usually clean and skin 2-3 hogs before I need to resharpen them. Kershaw and Puma also make some great knives with excellent steel,I have several of them also.
Randy Porter is a member/vendor here,and makes some very nice custom knives at really great prices,go to the vendor list and give him a call to see what he might have made or tell him what you want and he can make a custom knife for you.There are a bunch of us that have his knives,they are very good knives!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club