Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Knives.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/knives-56003/)

SDK73 01-22-2012 02:32 AM

Knives....

The last few weeks I have been puchasing items for my first deer camp next year. Im at the point of purchasing a field dressing knife? Can anyone recommend anything? Any and all options are greatly appreciated!

Chandler51 01-22-2012 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDK73
The last few weeks I have been puchasing items for my first deer camp next year. Im at the point of purchasing a field dressing knife? Can anyone recommend anything? Any and all options are greatly appreciated!

Price range?

SDK73 01-22-2012 03:09 AM

I really don't want something cheap, from Wallyworld. Excellent blade steel that holds up. I don't have a price range really, let's set the price at $120 max.

Chandler51 01-22-2012 03:15 AM

Quote:

I really don't want something cheap, from Wallyworld. Excellent blade steel that holds up. I don't have a price range really, let's set the price at $120 max.

There is a MULTITUDE of F/D knives in that price range, many very good ones. My brother is the deer hunter of the family, and he swears by Muela. Case knives are very good as well, in my opinion. There are many custom knifemakers, typically beyond that price point but it's another option.

AG Russell has a very good selection, and they typically have nothing to do with junky stuff. You might check them out.

SDK73 01-22-2012 03:17 AM

Ok. Great gives me a starting point, I have been searching Google for a week now reading different articles.

Chandler51 01-22-2012 03:19 AM

Quote:

Ok. Great gives me a starting point, I have been searching Google for a week now reading different articles.

Yeah...you could talk about good blades from now til the sun burns out, and not get around to all of them.

Happy hunting! :)

kfox75 01-22-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDK73 (Post 684686)

The Buck Pathfinder (model # 105) is a medium sized, well made knife for well under $120. I have had mine for close to 30 years, and it still serves me well as a field dressing knife. Leather sheath, black cocobola handle,5 in. curved blade with a false edge, and a perfect balance point make it an easy to use knife that you could easily pass down to your grandkids.

Marlinman 01-22-2012 08:13 AM

Buck 110 folder is like $30 at walmart and is a dang good knife. Buck has alot of really good knives under your top price.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

od green 01-22-2012 04:20 PM

+ 1 on the Buck 110 , I've had one for years but you also might want to look into a fixed blade with a non slip handle as things can and do get slick when doing the inside work. I have a Schrade with gut hook, holds an edge pretty good and have done 4 deer with out having to sharpen.

Txhillbilly 01-23-2012 01:52 AM

I have almost as many knives as I do guns.I love my Muela fixed blades,they are made in Spain using German stainless steel.They come razor sharp,and really keep a good edge.I can usually clean and skin 2-3 hogs before I need to resharpen them. Kershaw and Puma also make some great knives with excellent steel,I have several of them also.
Randy Porter is a member/vendor here,and makes some very nice custom knives at really great prices,go to the vendor list and give him a call to see what he might have made or tell him what you want and he can make a custom knife for you.There are a bunch of us that have his knives,they are very good knives!