Killer in the woods

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Killer in the woods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Killer in the woods

Many of you know that I teach Hunter Education for the State of Colorado. This story is one of the reasons I teach.
It was a rainy dark day in the first week of September, the opening week of bow season in the Missouri Ozarks.
I was hunting in the Ozark National Forest, just over the fence from my brother-in-laws farm. I learned a long time ago that the guy that just keeps walking sees very little. So my technique of hunting is walk a little and look a lot. I walk about 20 yds or so, depending on the terrain, and then stop and use the binoculars. Most hunters walk by more deer than they ever see. I was looking for a little spot of white or a horizontal line in the woods. If the sun had been out the reflection of a polished deer antler would have given a hidden buck away. I had heard someone shooting with a shotgun an hour or so ago, over on the other side of the valley but nothing for quite some time. As I moved slowly around the bowl of the valley began to see dead birds and chipmonks laying on the ground. This puzzled me because they were song birds and no one ever shoots at chipmonks.
Then BOOOM!! A gun went off on my right. I felt the shot pellets hit my right side of my face and shoulder and the shock of the blows knocked me to the ground. I crawled over behind a bush and hollered,"Don't shoot, Don't shoot, People down here!" And the shotgun blasted again, this time at the bush I was hiding behind. I crawled to a big tree and stood up behind it. I could barely make out a figure sitting on cap rock about 25 yds away. I hollered again, "Don't shoot, Don't shoot, People down here!" And the figure swung the gun and shot at the tree I was hiding behind, blowing pieces of bark into the air. Now I am a easy going guy but in my painfull opinion that guy was trying to kill me. Three times he shot at me so now he should be empty. I nocked a broadhead and stepped out from behind that tree and let it fly, aiming as best as I could with my left eye. The arrow came down to the right of him hitting the flat rock he was sitting on. Shooting right handed and unable to see out of my right eye for the blood running down my face I was shooting off. I saw him jump up and run uphill. I got another arrow in the string and let a full draw move that broadhead up the hill. This time I compensated for my left eye error. The arrow went "CHUNK" into a tree right behind his back.
I took off running. When I got to the top of the hill I heard a car door slam. I increased my speed and when I came flying out of the woods my good eye saw a white Caddilac on the shoulder of the road and then a barb wire fence right in front of me. I tried to jump the fence because I surely couldn't stop at the speed I was going. My foot caught the top strand and down I went. My arrows and bow underneath me. When I picked myself up I could see my arrows were broken. I frantically searched and found a whole one. Nocking and shooting as fast as I could I let it fly at the car as it drove off. The arrow came down right in the middle of the truck lid and stuck there quivering. The car continued off at a high rate of speed.
I was totally exhausted and bleeding still but managed to make it back to the farm. When I got there my brother-in-law took me to the local town hospital and then the police station. I had 14 pellets in my right arm and the right side of my face. One pellet the doctor missed and it is still there above my right eyebrow. When we got home my brother-in-law and I drove back to the site of the incident. We found an empty 6 pack of malt liquor, a empty bottle of whiskey, another of slo gin, and another 6 pack of beer with one can missing. We also found 2 empty boxes of shotshells and 2 full boxes of shells. It looked like he was shooting at anything that moved judging from the dead animals and birds laying around.
The police never did find him nor was his white Caddilac with an arrow sticking out of the trunk lid ever seen in the area. I just wish that damn tree hadn't got in the way.
Sarge

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Sarge, I was REALLY hoping for another ending to this one....

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8692 Times on 3764 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Sarge- for years, I have been convinced that there are a few people that deliberately go people hunting. Laws here in VA do not prohibit me from carrying a concealed handgun when hunting, even during bow or muzzleloader season. I prefer to hunt on private property (with permission) that is posted like crazy, and no one else is allowed in there. And yes, I have been known to use my cell phone to call the game warden.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks Sarge. Very well written.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 10-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #5

Since the Drunk A hole left all his empty containers did you take any to the police to check for finger prints? You never know.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Killer in the woods

When we reported it to the police they said it wasn't in their jurisdiction as it happened on National Forest land. They said they would notify the Feds but no one ever came to the farm the whole week we were there. Because I could not identify my assailant it is likely that it was just filed and forgotten. Small town cops were not very well trained back then. I kept the shotgun shells and broke all the bottles of boose. I can not believe that no one noticed a big cadilac with an arrow sticking out of the trunk. At least someone might have taken a picture of it.
Sarge

Old 10-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #7

something similar happened to my uncle in washington back in the 60's. he was hunting alone and someone fired at him. he dove behind a log and started hollering. the a hole fired another shot at him and the bullet hit the log. my uncle fired one round back and all went silent. after awhile he departed the area and did not even go see if he hit the guy.