Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Keeping a deer overnight (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/keeping-deer-overnight-49280/)

wickedins4nity 10-04-2011 07:02 PM

Keeping a deer overnight

So here is my question as I have never shot a deer at night. What is the best thing to do if I shoot a deer in the evening and the local processor is closed for the night? I would have it field dressed immediately, but then what? It is about 60 degrees at night right now. Thanks for the help!!

lonyaeger 10-04-2011 08:34 PM

If it's only getting down to 60 degrees at night, it's going to be very risky. Maybe you should ask the processor what HE would do. The one I use stays open later in the evening during deer season.

wickedins4nity 10-04-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 593501)
If it's only getting down to 60 degrees at night, it's going to be very risky. Maybe you should ask the processor what HE would do. The one I use stays open later in the evening during deer season.

Thanks, I will do that and see what he says. I know a lot of people hang it overnight but I just don't think it's cold enough yet.

hiwall 10-04-2011 08:53 PM

If you had to keep it out all night, I would get the hide off ASAP.

alsaqr 10-04-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

So here is my question as I have never shot a deer at night. What is the best thing to do if I shoot a deer in the evening and the local processor is closed for the night? I would have it field dressed immediately, but then what? It is about 60 degrees at night right now. Thanks for the help!!
There's a good chance the meat will spoil. Skin the animal if possible. You can cool the meat using 6-8 ten pound bags of ice. Stuff some ice in the cavity and place the rest around the carcass. i carry a big cooler that will hold the animal along with six one gallon milk jugs full of ice when hunting deer and hogs in hot weather.

orangello 10-04-2011 09:15 PM

Most of the 'necks around here let it sit overnight stuffed full of ice & covered over with ice; softens it up a bit they claim.

fmj 10-04-2011 10:11 PM

<<is one of those 'necks being refered to....60 aint bad...pack the gut cavity with ice and you'll be fine, just get it in ASAP

wickedins4nity 10-05-2011 01:59 AM

Thanks for all the responses, definitely helpful input. Now I just need to see a deer :rolleyes:

Boyerracing343 10-05-2011 01:59 AM

I would fall in the category of red neck. Haha. I cut them up and stuff it in the cooler. Luckily i have a full walk in freezer two miles from my house that i have a key to. :D

A lease i hunted a few years ago we had a large ice cooler like your local gas stations would have. It was sweet. Kept the meat real nice a cold. Not bad for a $100 craigslist grab.

Good luck hunting. Just remember to keep some money handy so you can pick up some bags of ice after you kill one. Pack it full and proceed to finish taking care of the deer the next morning. I wouldn't let it set for too long though.

lonyaeger 10-05-2011 02:05 AM

Boy, the last people I would listen to when it comes to safe food handling.....is us! ;)