Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > It is just no challenge anymore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioActiV View Post
Even if the deer weren't there i still like your view. With the deer added makes it a dream come huntin' season
I don't feed them. Not intentionally anyway. The area shown used to be my vegetable garden. I gave up on that concept almost a decade ago. One time I spent a whole 10 hour day putting down slips by hand. Hundreds of them. Was gonna eat good. Went inside at sundown. The next morning deer hoof prints everywhere in the soft soil, but not a slip to be seen. Have been shooting them to the greatest extent legally possible ever since. Have trusted friends that come by to shoot them too. Sadly the new city people that moved to the townhouse areas nearby don't own enough land around their houses to safely hunt (not that their developments allow them to, or that they even know which end of a gun the bullet goes in) and join the squabble of people who believe shooting guns within 30 miles of a house or a road is very dangerous and only criminals own guns. Whatever. The result is I used to see one deer, then 4 or 5 at a time, now I can often see up to 20 at a time and seem to have at least two full herds and so do my other neighbors with more land than a townhouse has.

I tried the pick the buck you want trick. He hid in the woods all summer but the trail cameras captured his presence. Sadly on opening day he was just standing by the pickup truck waiting. Where is the fun in that?

Last edited by superc; 04-27-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: deleted an 'o'

Old 04-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Every day, every window. Have to chase the ones standing by the car if I want to go someplace, or honk the horn to drive into my own driveway. They don't even run from us anymore. Even the dog has given up at chasing them. This is five minutes ago.

Last edited by superc; 04-27-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1354 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

Default To many Deer

If you feel like you are being victimized by the Deer contact your State Wildlife Agency. There are People that would love to get there hands on all that Meat. They'll Get some one to come in and cull the heard. Make the call and see what happens. Wills in da Swamp in La.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #14

At least some of yours have antlers! In northern Vermont where I live it's no big deal to see groups of 10-12 doe at dusk but not an antler to be seen.

The state has eliminated doe season all together and shooting spike horn bucks regardless of antler length is not allowed nor has it been for the last three years.

I guess it's better to keep picking up dead doe beside the road that have caused car crashes is better...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-