Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   It is just no challenge anymore (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/just-no-challenge-anymore-26387/)

superc 04-23-2010 03:13 AM

It is just no challenge anymore

2 Attachment(s)
When I was a teenager, going deer hunting meant filling your pack with a 72 hour load, grabbing the rifle and a buddy similarly equipped, then heading off in a car to a place at least 40 miles from the nearest city, then pitching a tent and camping out in the woods and maybe, just maybe, if you were both very quiet and could move through the woods as silently as a ghost, one of you will get to actually see a deer, and get one before the week ended.

My how times have changed.

Here is a typical morning view from my side window and the front of the house. Kind of takes all the fun out of what used to be hard and require some skill..

dunerunner 04-23-2010 03:16 AM

Quit feeding them and they will go away, get jobs and become productive citizens!! :D

superc 04-23-2010 03:17 AM

BTW before you ask, Winchester Trapper Carbine, peep sights, sling, Firefly front sight, .45 Colt 250 gr. JHP, loaded hot. The alternate is a Colt New Service, .45 Colt, Keith bullet, one of Keith's loads. Either way, good eating, even if no more skill is required than picking one of the peaches or pears from the nearby tree.

kansas45 04-24-2010 02:04 PM

It's almost always been that way around here. Walk or drive to your favorite hunting spot, wait around for a hour or so, pick out your deer, shoot it, dress the thing & head home. I took up bow hunting for several years just to put more sport into the game. Now I'm back to the rifle due to a lack of time for the bow.

stalkingbear 04-25-2010 07:07 PM

If you want the thrill to return, take up bowhunting and pick a particular buck. Hunt nothing but that buck. Get in the woods and do it the old fashioned way. That'll return the excitement to you.

Davyboy 04-25-2010 08:55 PM

UK

Quote:

Originally Posted by superc (Post 274667)
When I was a teenager, going deer hunting meant filling your pack with a 72 hour load, grabbing the rifle and a buddy similarly equipped, then heading off in a car to a place at least 40 miles from the nearest city, then pitching a tent and camping out in the woods and maybe, just maybe, if you were both very quiet and could move through the woods as silently as a ghost, one of you will get to actually see a deer, and get one before the week ended.

My how times have changed.

Here is a typical morning view from my side window and the front of the house. Kind of takes all the fun out of what used to be hard and require some skill..

Its the same in UK at present we have a deer population of 2,000000 the most for a thousand years. Check out my post on deer populations it seems to be endemic to a lot of countries.

willshoum 04-25-2010 09:14 PM

Bambi Making a come Back

Count your Blessings, Your getting old. And least ways you ain't gonna go Hungry. One Elderly woman in our neck of the woods had been feeding this huge Buck For years till some no good crack head kid came and killed it when it was in her back yard. she called the Cops. He was arrestd for trespassing and hunting deer out of season, possesion of a fire arm by a convicted felon. Don't stop feeding the deer, just thinnem out come winters huntin season. God bless. Wills in da Swamp in La.:)

notdku 04-26-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 274669)
Quit feeding them and they will go away, get jobs and become productive citizens!! :D

Deer are children?

I grew up with em like that. It gets to the point you stop seeing them as majestic creatures and start seeing them as pest. My Father could not have a garden because no amount of fence could keep them out. I grew up on a street called Deer Trail... kind of a give away on that one.

willshoum 04-27-2010 06:17 PM

Just not fun anymore

Time to thin out the over population of Deer. Two people died after hitting a deer that was standing in the road the were travling on. thier Jeep crashed into the woods after impact. WAFB NEWS.

RadioActiV 04-27-2010 06:25 PM

Even if the deer weren't there i still like your view. With the deer added makes it a dream come huntin' season:D