Just Finished Hunter's Safety Class
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Just Finished Hunter's Safety Class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Just Finished Hunter's Safety Class

Well.I finally did it,got my safety certificate.I hunted my first time last year with my father in law under an apprentice' license,and I decided I liked it.We hunt whitetail by the way.But in order to hunt you must have a hunter's safety certificate if you were born after january 1st 1960,here in Michigan,or hunt with an "adult" under the apprentice license.I felt kind of funny being 29 years old,and most of the students being 10-14,but I had to do it.It took about 13 hours total for the 2 day class.So,i'm ready to go,still got to make sure my .444 is still sighted in,got my orange ready,now it's time to get another buck!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great step!

With all that work in your back pocket, be safe and go out and get one!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I getting more and more adults in my hunter safety classes, Anyone born before Jan. 1, 1973 here in Wisconsin is grandfathered in and doesn't need to take the class. Although, there are many states in the west and also providences in Canada where hunter ed card is mandatory no matter how old you are. Kudos to you.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #4

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

my mother in law got her hunting license without hunter's safety,and she was born AFTER jan 1st 1960.I believe that she got her first license before the law was enacted,so she was able to keep getting more.It's only "first time hunters" that need to go to hunter's safety if they were born after jan 1st 1960.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm not sure about NC but I think once you reach a certain age you don't have to take the hunters safety class. I took it when I was 10 or 11 so I never worried about it. I would feel funny too being 29 in a class with kids.

Glad to hear you got it out of the way though and are on your way to many years of hunting. You'll be glad you did it. Getting after the whitetails this year??

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #7

After moving to France I had to do some study and both theory and practical tests to get a hunting permit (permis de chasse) - I was 40 and English, everyone else was 16-18 and French!

Tuition and tests were conducted in French of course, so it forced me to learn a load of new vocabulary. The practical tests were also very particular, so I had to unlearn some "bad habits" - which was also good. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks IF the right to hunt depends on it!

Good luck with the whitetail.