Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > just bought new gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default just bought new gun...

So yeah, for the past few months, ive been looking and looking and looking at all KINDS of guns... FINALLY, i found a pretty good gun that i believe will do the job... i found a Savage Arms 7 mm that is beautiful... comes with a bipod and a cheap scope for right at 43o.oo.... not bad... ima put a leopold scope on it, so im not too worried about the scope... but the gun is absolutely beautiful... anybody have any experience with these?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

where are the pics

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fuzzy, you can't beat a Savage for a good hunting rifle. Shoot straight and stay safe.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #4

So what kind of scope should i put on this rifle? I mean, on average im shooting about 3oo+ yards... but i also want to be able to shoot targets at maybe 6oo+ if i can find somewhere to do it... ive heard 3x9x4o will reach over 6oo yards...

Old 01-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #6

yeah... i cant wait for it to come in... its supposed to be coming in at the beginning of February... i went and bought it at Gander mountain, but theyre installing the Harris bipod for me, and bore sighting it and all that... sooo, im excited... ill have pics up as soon as i get it... and im definately gonna put up some videos... im not sure how good the scope is, its a Bushnell, i think it said... it came with it... but im thinking either Nikon or Leupold... and i cant decide on either 3x9x4o, 3x9x5o, or 4x12x50...

Old 01-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #7

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 712

If your rifle is a 7mm Remington Mag Savage 110, I would suggest a Weaver V10 for a VG scope. The Weaver has a 38mm objective and is easy to clear the barrel w/ low mounts. 2-10 is great for any hunting distance. Mine has been mounted for 5..6 years and it is a tank.
This is what I have been using on a short action, not sure it will fit a magnum action correctly. Sightron Riflescopes / Binoculars / Sighting Scopes product pages. SII Series - SII 3-12x42 AO

BTW, if you bought a new Savage package gun, it will be bore sighted already! Don't let them over charge you.
Edit: the bipod is a single screw that attaches to you sling swivel, again, that should be free.

Is this the model?? Model: 110 GXP3 http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 01-26-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #8

No, theyre not charging me anything to do any of that... they're doing it for free... im kind of stuck on either Nikon or Leupold scopes...

Old 01-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #9

And no, its the model 111 Package series FCXP3... Or something like that.. lol..

Old 01-26-2011, 11:43 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have 2 Savages in 7 MM. Really not anything I was looking for, but they were both so cheap they just followed me home. I have shoot both, but never really tried to find an accurate load for eather, but they bith shot what I put in them well enough for a 500 yrd. shot on an elk. If your are going to try to push it out there I would recomand a Leupold VX 3 in 3 1/2 x 10 with target knobs. With that and a good range finder it will reach out. I have a friend that shoots a 7 mag. and he has no trouble killing groundhogs at 500 yrds. You will need a good drop chart with wind deflection on it and some practice, but I can tell you from experance that those Savage rifles soot.

Catfish
Ohio