Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Jerky cure recommendations? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/jerky-cure-recommendations-37765/)

bkt 02-01-2011 11:08 PM

Jerky cure recommendations?

Looking for your thoughts on a good commercial or homemade cure and seasoning. Will be making venison and bison jerky soon.

JonM 02-01-2011 11:23 PM

i usually just use LEM cure as the curing agent. i season my own with dried ground chilis of various types kosher salt and pepper. you can add whatever flavorings you choose.

ive tried a lot of the flavoring kits and never really liked any of em. they werent bad so i dont think you can really go wrong by prepackaged ones. ended up just seasoning with whatever dry seasonings appeal to me.

if its your first go be sure to strictly follow the curing agent directions. if you dont it can be dangerous. more is not better with curing agents.

Gatoragn 02-02-2011 12:07 AM

I have been pleased with Hi Mountain jerky cure and seasoning, especially the Cajun. Just started making jerky this year after my wife gave me a jerky kit for Christmas.

hunter Joe 02-02-2011 03:06 PM

I've had great success with Hi Mountain jerky making stuff but my favorite recipe is: Cut in to 1/4 thick strips and put in large zip lock bag, cover with soy sauce, 1 cup or so of brown sugar and crushed red peppers to desired temperature. Mix everything together in the bag by shaking and kneading and refrigerate for 2-3 days mixing occasionally. You can use a cap of liquid smoke but I don't as I prefer the jerky sweet and hot.

I leave it in the dehydrator for about 20 hours rotating the racks if and when I remember. The jerky will continue to dry more after you remove it from the dehydrator. Yum, yum. Joe

winds-of-change 02-02-2011 03:09 PM

I thought this thread would be about steadiness while shooting. :)

bkt 02-02-2011 06:17 PM

Thanks, folks. I'll try the Hi Mountain but also my own blend of spices on another batch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 435361)

Yeah, I learned a while ago that throttling back on the coffee intake does wonders for that. :)

hunter Joe 02-02-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 435361)

Hey Winds, who you calling a jerk?

winds-of-change 02-03-2011 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter Joe (Post 435589)
Hey Winds, who you calling a jerk?

No one. I thought this would be a thread on helping one shoot steady. You know, like if you jerk when you squeeze the trigger.

AusLach 02-03-2011 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 435909)
No one. I thought this would be a thread on helping one shoot steady. You know, like if you jerk when you squeeze the trigger.

Wow I like guns but not quite that much Winds :p