Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Insulation Practices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Insulation Practices

When you are deer hunting in the extreme cold, the typical idea would be to layer as many pairs of clothes as possible, has anyone ever experienced putting too many clothes on, then sweating, then having the sweat get freezing cold and having to remove ALL the layers and use a hunting lantern to finally warm up? What is the best way to avoid this? Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Default insulation

Here in central Texas I usually opt for a t-shirt for opening day and a light jacket for later in season.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I layer according to the activity that I am expecting. What that usually means is that I am chilled a bit when I first set out. The trick is to take off and put on layers depending on what you are feeling. Also, a hat plays very highly in this, and you can change how you are feeling, and sweating, by changing how you wear that hat. It takes practice, but it can be done.

What is hard is to expect below zero temperatures and then hit 60 degrees.. I much prefer to hunt in below zero..

-Bidah

Old 07-10-2007, 05:17 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you know that you are going to be facing very cold temps; but working hard enough to sweat, then having to sit still, you might want to experiment with the "vapour barrier" theory of staying warm, rather than the "layer" theory.
In short, make your first layer impervious to moisture, then add conventional insulation.
When I first started, I used drycleaners bags, make a hole just big enough to stretch over your head, and holes just big enough for your arms. And the only thing under the bag is my briefs. Then a T-shirt, and a light sweater, a pair of mid-weight insulated drawers (long-john pants) followed by a pair of lined jeans, and you will amaze your friends and yourself at how warm you are, if you stay out of the wind. And if it's windy, you just need to add a wind/waterproof layer over top.

After a winter using the drycleanrs bags, I bought a lightweight wetsuit, 3mm neoprene, with short sleeves and short legs, like waterskiers use in cool temps.

For the last 7 winters I've worked in the Fort Saint John and Fort Nelson area of BC, so I'm passingly familiar with cool temps.

(find Juneau Alaska, then go east 400 miles)

"Those who have long enjoyed privileges as we enjoy, forget, in time, that men have died to win them."

Franklin D. Roosvelt