Infra Red/ flashless cameras
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Infra Red/ flashless cameras

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Infra Red/ flashless cameras

When it comes to cameras I am a total idiot...I am interested in purchasing a couple of the "flashless" cameras for security. Do these work at night as well as in daylight? I have been hit by "intruders" and the police officers suggested putting up some "infa-red cameras" because they did not "flash".
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #2

Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Yes they work day and night. Infared is a different part of the spectrum and its not visible to people.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Yunus; 11-21-2011 at 02:23 AM.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:21 AM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I've been wanting to get the same thing set up at my house. I was going to get an IR game camera. Only thing is that I have to decide how sharp of a resolution I want. 2-3 megapixel cameras are pretty inexpensive. Higher resolution cost more, don't know if it really matters for ID purposes if I have an incident and the cameras catch it.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 11-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #4

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I build my own , but i dont use the IR , it can be seen as a red glow when your within about 10 ft of it, picture quality at night isnt superior , Low MP cameras like a 2-3 is a waste of your hard earned $$ , you will not get ther results your loking for in a low quality camera . Flash ? dont worry about it by the time the flash has went off to late you already got them , Just mount it up high where they cant get to it and either put it in a steel box or cable it up on a tree , light post etc . atleast if the flash does go off and you get their pics they will know they are being watched and may stay away . Lots of gret commercial cams out there you will just have to spend big $$$ to get what you really want . Stay away from Stealth , Wild game Cameras , not only does there quality , life span suck there customer service is non existant . These cameras are not repairable they are disposable , if you want a good camera with great customer service reconyx is a good one and their camera is repairable . I have a few other homebrew camera guys that work exclusively with IR and Black flash and they do this as a business , all their stuff if 100% repairable and one of them offers a 1 yr full guarantee and lifetime labor for free if it does quit,he will fix it at the only cost to you are parts which is very cheap . if your interested let me know . here is a night pic with a S600 white flash , this thing flashs out to about 35-40 ft . I do have one for sale if your interested , I dont do IR because my deer in my area run from them when they see the red glow so i just dont have a use for it . this particular setup uses 2 AA' rechargables in the camera and 2 reg C cells in the holders and will go for about 60-75 days up to about 2000 pictures

Deer at approximatly 10 yards

Last edited by purehavoc; 11-21-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11547

You can see the IR flash pretty easily on the game cameras I have (not flashless). I have some security cameras that are night vision, no illumination. They work very well and probably have gotten better since I got mine. Go to http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm for some really good pricing on security stuff. One word of caution though, those "wireless" cameras only transmit images wirelessly. They must be powered as well, generally by a wired connection. Also, the ones I got work on the same radio frequency as my cordless phone does so you can't use the cameras when the phone is plugged in. Make sure that any wireless cameras are on a different frequency.

The problem with game cameras is that they are all self-contained, so if they are stolen you lose all of the images as well as the camera. If you get a system with multiple cameras connected to a central recording device (your computer can serve this purpose) and the bad guys steal the cameras you should get a great set of images as they are taking them down and they are stored on your computer, or I suppose you can even store them in the "cloud" so they can be watched and accessed from anywhere.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #6

Something like this would have been ideal if it had been available back when I bought my system. http://www.x10.com/promotions/airsight_outdoor_wireless_ip_camera.html?HP2

Old 05-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #7

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Viking, this is the best resurrection of an old thread yet! Nice find. Now I'll have to start thinking about this again.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 05-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #8

Quite by accident I'm afraid. I received a PM about another old thread and was looking it up when I came across this one. I didn't even notice it has been "sleeping" for so long!