Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Indiana Hunting Law

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Indiana Hunting Law

Hello,

I'm new to guns (got my permit). I'm thinking of purchasing my 1st rifle next month at the Indianapolis gun show.

I'm a bit confused about the hunting laws here in Indiana.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Ruger GSR (gunsite rifle) .308, can i use this to hunt deer?

Here is a link to the 2011 pdf rules and guidelines. http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2139 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Indy,

308 Winchester!
That is a NO NO! In Indiana. All shotgun, muzzle loader, pistol of certain calibers as well as some straight walled rifle cases of a certain length are permitted. I believe the pistol caliber must be 357 or larger. An example the 458 Socom I am sure is legal in Indiana. I would suggest since you are in Indy calling the DNR Enforcement Division Office at the State Office Building on Washington Street and get there instruction. But no 308, 30-06, 270, 243, 30-30, and rifles of that caliber are permitted in Indiana to hunt game animals. You would have to go out of state to hunt deer or game animals with it. Now for shooting coyotes, varmints, and target shooting they are perfectly legal as long as you have the landowners permission and are shooting safely and responsibly. You must consider the distance as far as range on those calibers when shooting in a specific direction and the background area.

Last edited by Sniper03; 07-19-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #3

Thanks!

I guess i might have to change what gun i buy at the gun show

I had my eyes set on that Ruger GSR .308

Old 07-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #4

What does each ammo mean?

Like .38-.40 (what is .38 and what is .40)?

For .308 (what makes it a .308)?

For 30-30 (what is 30 and what is 30)?

Thx!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Indy,

To begin with the 38 S&W Special as well as the 357 S&W Magnum shoot a Bullet that is .357 in diameter. Obviously the 357 Magnum is far more powerful than the standard 38 S&W Special round. If you are considering deer hunting in Indiana with a pistol I would recommend no less than a 6" .357 Mag. or the S&W 44 Mag. in at least a 6" Barrel. You can also put optics on them with special mounts. But with the 44 Mag. be ready for some recoil!
The 40 Cal S&W shoots a Bullet that is .4000 in diameter they are the present choice for most police agencies in Indiana and other states.

The 30-30 designation came about for this reason. Back in the late 1800s Winchester came out with a round called the 30 Winchester Smokeless. The designation was later changed to the 30-30 due to the fact that the previous cartridge held 30 grains of smokeless powder and was 30 caliber. So hence the designation 30-30 came about.
Quite frankly for you getting started and with the focus on Deer Hunting you may want to seriously consider a good shotgun. Like the *Standard Remington870. *Not the Light Weight or Express. You can get an excellent Deer Barrel for this shotgun with Rifle Sights and 20" Barrel as well as changing barrels for hunting other game is reasonably priced and quick and easy to change. Takes about 30 seconds. They are exceptionally accurate shooting Remington Slugs or Brenneke Slugs. And you can mount a scope or optics on them. Just a thought?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Indy,

To begin with the 38 S&W Special as well as the 357 S&W Magnum shoot a Bullet that is .357 in diameter. Obviously the 357 Magnum is far more powerful than the standard 38 S&W Special round. If you are considering deer hunting in Indiana with a pistol I would recommend no less than a 6" .357 Mag. or the S&W 44 Mag. in at least a 6" Barrel. You can also put optics on them with special mounts. But with the 44 Mag. be ready for some recoil!
The 40 Cal S&W shoots a Bullet that is .4000 in diameter they are the present choice for most police agencies in Indiana and other states.

The 30-30 designation came about for this reason. Back in the late 1800s Winchester came out with a round called the 30 Winchester Smokeless. The designation was later changed to the 30-30 due to the fact that the previous cartridge held 30 grains of smokeless powder and was 30 caliber. So hence the designation 30-30 came about.
Quite frankly for you getting started and with the focus on Deer Hunting you may want to seriously consider a good shotgun. Like the *Standard Remington870. *Not the Light Weight or Express. You can get an excellent Deer Barrel for this shotgun with Rifle Sights and 20" Barrel as well as changing barrels for hunting other game is reasonably priced and quick and easy to change. Takes about 30 seconds. They are exceptionally accurate shooting Remington Slugs or Brenneke Slugs. And you can mount a scope or optics on them. Just a thought?

Thanks! i appreciate your input.

Although I'm looking for a long term survival rifle (i was looking at .22lr and takedown rifles). But i changed my mind on the .22lr and the takedown rifles since they are pretty much varmint guns. I'll probably still get me a Marlin Papoose, but i want a hunting rifle i can use this winter. Any suggestions?

I'm a hunting virgin :P

I want to go out this winter and kill my 1st deer, learn to gut it and skin it. Then put some of that meat in the bar-b

Any suggestion on a bolt action rifle i could use, with accordance to indiana deer hunting law?

here's the PDF again http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf

Old 07-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Sign up for a Hunter's Safety course in IN. Read the state hunting regulations pamphlet prior to the class, then your instructor all the questions you have remaining.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Indy,

Here is your website for the State of Indiana DNR regarding your caliber questions and the laws.

www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf (if this does not work leave the hyphen out between fw and deerhuntguide)
This will give you your answer.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Indy,

Here is your website for the State of Indiana DNR regarding your caliber questions and the laws.

www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf (if this does not work leave the hyphen out between fw and deerhuntguide)
This will give you your answer.

ive read the guide. i'm just looking for suggestions on a bolt action rifle in the calibers specify in the indiana hunting law

Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Indy,

They pretty much have you cornered on this one as far as rifle calibers that bolt guns are made for the specific caliber. So with that, you may want to look at a good lever action rifle like the Marlin Lever Action Rifles & Henry Rifles. They do come in 44 Mag, 35 Remington for example. Other options would be the Thompson Single Shot Rifles. Just nothing really available other than the 458 Socom in the AR Rifles. Wish I could help more!
Good Luck