Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > illinois hunting questions and is what i am doing legal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 72

get a copy of il hunting regs and spend several days figuring them out(grew up there been gone 20+years)then set yourself up to do it correctly. dont know if the leo will give a pass to a kid with a bb gun like in the 60s

Old 06-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

This is what made me post what I posted above. He lives in a suburb of Chicago. He is also 14 years old.
That, and, everything is illegal in Chicago.

Except for possessing small amounts of marijuana (as of yesterday).
Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #13

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Hunter Safety The Illinois Hunter Education Program consists of a minimum of 10 hours of instruction. The educational material is based on a sixth-grade reading level. These courses cover the basics of hunter responsibility, wildlife conservation and identification, firearms and ammunition, field safety, wildlife management, first aid, archery, muzzleloading, and state regulations.

Persons completing the minimum 10 hours of instruction and successfully completing the final examination will receive a State of Illinois Certificate of Competency and a graduate patch.

WHO MUST TAKE THE COURSE

On January 1, 1996, a State law was passed that anyone born on or after January 1, 1980 may not be issued a hunting license unless:

•1) they present a valid Hunter Education Certificate of Competency issued by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Safety Education Division, or
•2) they present evidence he or she has held a hunting license issued by the State of Illinois or another state in a prior year.
Many states are now requiring adult hunters to furnish evidence of having completed a Hunter Education Course prior to issuance of a non-resident license.

TWO WAYS TO TAKE THE COURSE

Instructor-led Classes

The traditional and preferred hunter education method is through a 10 hour instructor-led class and demonstrations. Classes may be a few hours a night for 2-4 nights or a full weekend class. The final class will end with a test to pass the course. Interested individuals may call 1-800-832-2599 or check List of Education Courses by County

After the above you will need to purchase a hunting license but because you are under 16 you will not need to purchase a habitat stamp and you will also need to hunt with an adult until you are 16 yrs of age. You will also need a FOID card if you have a gun in your possession . As far as the potato projectile goes your now Illegal . I know this we had 2 of them confiscated 10 yrs ago .

Old 06-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I am sorry that you aren't growing up in the semi-rural Mississippi of the 1970's & 80's, like i did. I had local "woods" within walking distance and enjoyed my pellet rifle there.

Things have changed some even in semi-rural MS.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hi!
I live in down state Illinois but am pretty sure any kind of hunting in Cook county is illegal

You definitely need the hunter safety course and it would be great if you knew someone to mentor you at shooting/hunting.

IDNR (Illinois Dept of Natural Resourses) has a great web site and I believe a program that pairs youths up with hunters. Kind of like a big brother program.

Its great that you want to pursue hunting and shooting as a hobby but PLEASE do it safely and responsibly, In the long run it is way more fun.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

you have to 1 have the hunter course, get the license and depending on what an air gun would be considered you cant shoot within 300 yds of a house or building. i am currently looking up if you even can hunt with an air riffle. the only thing you may be able to hunt is rabbit. i havent seen squirrel seasons on the dnr site for a while. so first even figure out if you can even hunt with that air riffle. from my knowledge of our lovely, you can hunt with a shotgun. then find a place you can hunt. northern ill, finding a place to hunt for what you want to hunt is the most tricky part. that plot of land you are shooting at could be privately owned and if thats the case you are breaking the law being there right off the bat.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 07-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #17

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

i just got a crossbow, also im taking the course now.I wish it was the same as the 70s and 80s like in the stories my dad told me. He used to shoot his friends ruger in his basement. of course there dad was extremely strict on safety. thats how my dad is to.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #18

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
i just got a crossbow, also im taking the course now.I wish it was the same as the 70s and 80s like in the stories my dad told me. He used to shoot his friends ruger in his basement. of course there dad was extremely strict on safety. thats how my dad is to.
Unless you are disabled and have special permission by the DNR it is illegal to hunt with a crossbow in IL.

You should really go the the illinois DNR website and download the pdf of the hunting regs and just read up. IL has a LOT of technicalities that you will want/need to know. (Like the shotgun 3 shell limit :rollseyes: )

Or just PM me or another fellow Illinoisan with whatever question u may have.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #19

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisko09 View Post
Unless you are disabled and have special permission by the DNR it is illegal to hunt with a crossbow in IL.

You should really go the the illinois DNR website and download the pdf of the hunting regs and just read up. IL has a LOT of technicalities that you will want/need to know. (Like the shotgun 3 shell limit :rollseyes: )

Or just PM me or another fellow Illinoisan with whatever question u may have.
You better check this out because its going to happen and crossbow will be open to all not just disabled or elderly when it passes. I dont like it and I will continue to use my compound bow but the state is looking for some $$$$ and this will help fuel the fire for them .

Illinois HB 4819 is a bill that unanimously passed the house on 3/29/12 and has moved to Senate. This bill removes the crossbow limiting language which currently exists in the Illinois Wildlife Code (the current language limits the use of a crossbow to those over 62 and those that are handicapped), and thus the passing of this bill will allow crossbows in the IL open archery season.

The bill was scheduled for a first reading at the Senate today and picked up a Senate Sponsor.

Please contact your IL senator or the Senate sponsor and express your point of view. A link to the bill is below - Thanks for your help.

After a month of debate, HB 4819 was assigned to the Agriculture and Conservation Committee, where it was passed on May 8.

As this issue of Illinois Outdoor News went to press, the bill’s fate was still uncertain. Those opposing the changes said a compromise was likely.

“We were instructed to reach a compromise with the bowhunters, DNR, and Sen Forby,” Chapman said. “Crossbows wouldn’t get the full archery season, but they would get something …. each side gives a little. It is our understanding that the DNR will unfortunately support this bill.”

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-02-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #20
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6957 Times on 4186 Posts
Likes Given: 8363

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
That is something I would never allow. Damn!!!

Last edited by winds-of-change; 07-02-2012 at 10:18 PM.