illinois hunting questions and is what i am doing legal?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > illinois hunting questions and is what i am doing legal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default illinois hunting questions and is what i am doing legal?

Ok so i have been wanting to get into hunting lately but due to multiple thing i cannot hunt with a fire at the moment( I gotta wait for my aunts boyfriend to buy a gun he has his foid already). But for now i wanted to hunt small game (rabbits,squirrels,certain birds?,etc.) I would eat certain things but if i can hunt pests i would do that as well. I own an air rifle that is pretty dang powerful and i put a 4x32 scope on it the box said it was detuned to 700fps but it is still pretty powerful. I would use that to kill small game of course i would only hunt things i know i can kill, i dont want to wound anything and have it suffer. Now here are my main questions
what do you guys think of me using my air rifle to hunt?

I usually shoot at a public field about 2 blocks from my house (i live in a suburb are not ****cago.) Whenever i shoot there nobody complains. People usually walk there dogs and play sports at the beginning of the field but i go farther down to shoot. I have shot my potato gun there and some homemade air rifles and my pellet guns and nobody ever complained. i use a dirt hill as a back stop. The whole field is about 2+ acres and seems at least 100 yards long and 75+ yards wide. I am wondering if it is legal for me to shoot there? there is also an are farther back that has a bunch of trees, brush and a small stream. is it legal to shoot and eat certain rabbits or squirrels seen there? If not what do i need to do and where do i need to go to legally hunt small game?
I did research but couldent really find anything on hunting with pellet guns.

Last edited by beastmode986; 06-28-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Your best bet is to talk to a game warden, last time i checked it was still illegal to hunt game birds and animals in the flat lands ( Illinois ) with an air rifle. Black birds weather common or red wing are a big no-no , your gun and $$ will go by-by and possibly future hunting privileges if you get caught shooting them. Be smart and safe , check with your local DNR.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Well, you're now a criminal because of the spud gun.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8719 Times on 3773 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

For starters- hunting is still hunting, whether with a firearm, air rifle, boomerang or an atlatl (look the last one up )

You need to start with the Youth Hunter Safety course- link: http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/safety/Pages/HunterSafety.aspx

None of us can tell you from long distance that you have a SAFE and legal spot to target shoot. Certain birds may not be hunted with ANYTHING (Songbirds are high on the last in all places I know of)

I use a 675 FPS air rifle (a 5mm Sheridan) and it is adequate for squirrel sized animals up to about 40 yards. What make/model are you using?

Now go read what is in that link, and follow up on it. Otherwise the game warden will have your air rifle in the trunk of his car, and you in the back seat, on your way to see Mom.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7025 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 8469

I believe what you are doing is illegal. Just because no one complained (so far) doesn't make it okay. Are you in Cook County?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #6

Liked 1807 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 1179

Air rifles are legal to take small game in Colorado. But you still must have a hunting license to hunt in Clolorado. I can not speak if the laws in Illinois. Because I don't know them. Hunting near residences is almost always illegal.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7025 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 8469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Hunting near residences is almost always illegal.
This is what made me post what I posted above. He lives in a suburb of Chicago. He is also 14 years old.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #8

Liked 1807 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 1179

In Colorado youths may not hunt without an adult until they are 16. I would guess that is probably pretty common. You are probably old enough to take a hunter safety program. That is required in most states before you can get a license anyway. If I were you I would simply go to a Dept of Wildlife office and ask. They are usually very very very pro youth when it comes to hunting. My small game license was something like $40. My 13 year old son can get one for $1.75!!! Yea, thats right $1.75.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
Ok so i have been wanting to get into hunting lately but due to multiple thing i cannot hunt with a fire at the moment( I gotta wait for my aunts boyfriend to buy a gun he has his foid already). But for now i wanted to hunt small game (rabbits,squirrels,certain birds?,etc.) I would eat certain things but if i can hunt pests i would do that as well. I own an air rifle that is pretty dang powerful and i put a 4x32 scope on it the box said it was detuned to 700fps but it is still pretty powerful. I would use that to kill small game of course i would only hunt things i know i can kill, i dont want to wound anything and have it suffer. Now here are my main questions
what do you guys think of me using my air rifle to hunt?

I usually shoot at a public field about 2 blocks from my house (i live in a suburb are not ****cago.) Whenever i shoot there nobody complains. People usually walk there dogs and play sports at the beginning of the field but i go farther down to shoot. I have shot my potato gun there and some homemade air rifles and my pellet guns and nobody ever complained. i use a dirt hill as a back stop. The whole field is about 2+ acres and seems at least 100 yards long and 75+ yards wide. I am wondering if it is legal for me to shoot there? there is also an are farther back that has a bunch of trees, brush and a small stream. I have seen some annoying black birds and i have seen swans and real cool looking birds too( of course i never shoot cool looking or uncommon birds) . Is it legal to shoot any annoying black birds(i am unsure of what kind they are) and is it legal to shoot and eat certain rabbits or squirrels seen there? If not what do i need to do and where do i need to go to legally hunt small game?
I did research but couldent really find anything on hunting with pellet guns.
Well lets see a detuned air rifle???? Shooting in a public field??? An 14 yrs old, I shall be blunt here, dammit kid keep the damn pellet gun at home, only go out with an adult over 21 to a SAFE LOCATION SUCH AS A RANGE, or you may find that hunting is not in your future due to criminal charges. Please listen to us
Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #10

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

ok thanks for the advice im shooting a crosman phantom.I will try getting a hunting license and such