Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > if a hunter mistakes is it than a real hunter??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerman View Post
Carelessness with a firearm is inexcusable. First rule is never touch the trigger unless you are going to fire. That prevents most accidents. And never trust a safety. Firearms often discharge through malfunctions. I spend a lot of time on the range, and I hardly ever go on weekends. The number of fools with guns is alarming.
The question the op asked was weather or not a true hunter would make a mistake. I have seen "true hunters " make mistakes. In this case it does sound like the fella was careless or inexperienced. Until the lord himself picks up deer hunting there will never be a "true hunter" that has never and will never make a mistake. But I do agree that there are many fools out there with firearms that should not be allowed to shoot a gun. Do you really think the guy was in the hospital for 1.5 years over shooting his ankle?

Old 11-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #12

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 669

I've heard of shooting yourself in the foot! Why was his finger on the trigger? Why was he striding w/ the shotgun pointed down?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 297 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

First season of the shotgun season this year, I am sitting in my stand on my property and all of the sudden I hear a shot to my left followed by another and then another in pretty close series. There is maybe a 15 second delay and then another 3 shots spaced pretty tightly together. They all sounded like they were coming from the same place on the next property over.

Later in the morning as I am walking out I see my land neighbors son (mid 20s) walking out of the timber. I head over by him and ask him how many he got. He tells me none. I asked if that was him that shot 6 times in a row. He said yes, but he didn't hit the deer because he kept losing it in the scope in the dense timber.

I just walked away without saying another word. Couldn't believe the stupidity. I might have a word with my land neighbor the next time I see him about talking to his boy about responsible use of a firearm.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bottom line...

Is, If you were not trained by someone that has plenty of experience with
firearms...then at least attend a hunter safety course as that will be the
least expensive option avaliable in most cases! In most states a hunter
safety training certificate is all you need to qualify for a concealed weapons
permit etc.! As the "old saying goes, the more feathers in your hat equals
more opportunities"!!! (I still have a valid forklift drivers license for 2 kinds of
them, a "gas fitters lic" & my concealed carry lic)!

Old 11-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #15

i know right its a bit of a challenge bud really check it out sks guns do fire from them selfs

Old 12-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #16

Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
First season of the shotgun season this year, I am sitting in my stand on my property and all of the sudden I hear a shot to my left followed by another and then another in pretty close series. There is maybe a 15 second delay and then another 3 shots spaced pretty tightly together. They all sounded like they were coming from the same place on the next property over.

Later in the morning as I am walking out I see my land neighbors son (mid 20s) walking out of the timber. I head over by him and ask him how many he got. He tells me none. I asked if that was him that shot 6 times in a row. He said yes, but he didn't hit the deer because he kept losing it in the scope in the dense timber.

I just walked away without saying another word. Couldn't believe the stupidity. I might have a word with my land neighbor the next time I see him about talking to his boy about responsible use of a firearm.
You hear that alot around here,hunters going out with semi auto rifles with sub adequate caliber,and think that if they have multiple shots they can put aside marksmanship or hunting basics.I was taught to shoot no farther than my limit,one shot one kill and go big caliber,so even though I know it's possible to extend my range,I stay within 50 yards with a .444 or .270Weatherby magnum,you have to reilize that even though you can group 1"@100 yards on a bench,that means nothing,in the real world,in a blind,you will be lucky to group 12"@ 100 yards under stress,so let them get close to make up for your error.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 12-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
You hear that alot around here,hunters going out with semi auto rifles with sub adequate caliber,and think that if they have multiple shots they can put aside marksmanship or hunting basics.I was taught to shoot no farther than my limit,one shot one kill and go big caliber,so even though I know it's possible to extend my range,I stay within 50 yards with a .444 or .270Weatherby magnum,you have to reilize that even though you can group 1"@100 yards on a bench,that means nothing,in the real world,in a blind,you will be lucky to group 12"@ 100 yards under stress,so let them get close to make up for your error.
I must be one of the lucky ones then. 12" at 100 yards really man?