I want to hear from the experienced waterfowlers - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

I want to hear from the experienced waterfowlers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 791 Times on 553 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Depends on where and what type of waterfowl. I use #2 steel on smaller rivers, swamps, #1 steel on larger rivers and BB in corn fields for Geese. We have mainly Mallards, but there are plenty of wood duck, Ruddy ducks, in swamps. My normal duck load when hunting Mallards is #1 steel, it works fine on geese up close also. Decoys and calls are a must! I have a dozen Mallards and 2 geese I use. Calls are standard Quacker, whistler for swamps, and goose for fields. H.S. makes some good ones for beginners. Shotguns, I use a Mossberg 500 24" barrel w/ an improved choke for rivers/swamps. For fields, full choke in a 28" Charles Daly auto. If you buy decoys, Buy heavy line and anchors. Ice fishing line (braided) works well. The anchors they come with are fine for a still pond, but a moving river, no way.

PM me for recipes.
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have hunted waterfowl for 40 years and the first thing that I would suggest is to stay with the largest shot that will give you a decent pattern.
While smaller size shot gives you more hits on target it is not a very lethal from my observations. Also the larger shot is easier to find in the birds, and that will save you an expensive trip to the dentist!!!!! Another thing is try to find ammo with some type of coated shot because it is easier to see in the meat. Lastly pattern your gun,and shoot em as close as you can because steel shot loses its energy quite quickly. Good Luck
John_Deer Likes This