I lost my front sight !

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > I lost my front sight !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default I lost my front sight !

I lost my front sight!

Sarge was out hunting with a buddy of his, Ed, hunting doves. Now Ed is a darn good shot. And when the two of them go hunting it is neck and neck as to who takes the most shots. The birds were coming in fast and furious and the shooting was great. The birds were ahead of the score but there were so many of the them that the ground was littered with empty shells. Now for non-hunters that is called FUN. Even though you miss 4 times for every one time you hit it is still the best hunting around.
By lunch time the barrels were hot and the hunters were hungry. So they found a nice log laying under a shady tree and pulled out the sandwiches. Ed was ahead of Sarge by 3 birds and it looked like he was on a roll. If he kept on the way he was going he was going to limit out before Sarge by mid afternoon. Mummm good sandwiches thought Sarge.
Suddenly Ed shouts. "I LOST MY FRONT SIGHT!"
"Huh, What, Where, You lost your front sight???" asks Sarge "That is impossible you are shooting a shotgun. They do not have sights."
"Look!" Ed points, " My front sight is gone!"
"You mean that little bead thingy?" asks Sarge
"Yeah, my front sight, it is gone!" wailed Ed.
"Silly, that is not a front sight." stated Sarge. You are not suppose to be using that thing like a rifle.
"What am I going to do, I can't shoot a shotgun without a front sight." cried Ed.
"Ed calm down, Ed buddy, you are not suppose to be using that little bead as a sight. You just look at the bird and swing the gun, when the gun touches the bird or passes it you pull the trigger. Shotguns do not have sights on them. You know why they put that little bead on the front of the shotgun barrel?" asks Sarge.
"No, don't they put it on there for the shooter to use?" asks Ed.
"No No, Ed, you are not thinking right. They just put that little bead on the front of the barrel to make a hunter feel good. Really, if you had a shotgun and it didn't have a little bead on it and everyone else had beads on their shotguns, you would feel bad. Then you would call up the gun company and ask them why they didn't put a little bead on your shotgun. They would sighhhh and say OK send it in to the factory and they will put a bead on it. When you got the gun back and there was a little bead on the barrel you would feel good. Seee" says Sarge
"Well how am I going to hit anything without a front sight?" asks Ed.
"Ed,Ed,Ed just look at the bird and cover it with the end of the barrel and pull the trigger." states Sarge.
But poor Ed, the bead had probably fallen off sometime very early in the morning, or it came off in the gun case when he pulled it out, but for the rest of the day Ed couldn't hit anything. Because he didn't have any front sight. When he didn't know it was gone he just shot instinctively. And he hit on most every shot. That afternoon he got a lot of shooting in, but Sarge filled his bag limit first. Ed got only one more bird all afternoon and that one was coming straight at him and he shot in self defence. (Instinctively)

Sarge

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Did he ever find out that you used your Leatherman on his bead?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Mine has a laser on the end.
I just blind the bird and let it fly into a tree.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 11-16-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2372 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 680

Are you refering to the Miss Me Bead? I know every time I tried to use that thing I missed.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Did he ever find out that you used your Leatherman on his bead?
LOL LOL No but after that I added to my possibles kit a few shotgun beads of different threads. And a little wrench I made for the ones that had a hex base. Oh and also some Loc-tight. I never had a shotgun bead fall of in my life, but a lot of people do because they bring their shotguns in to my shop.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Can't you just use the 1911 sight embedded in your fore head?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 11-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #7

Default Front sight

I suppose I could have but the doctor took it out so he could bandage me up. I did consider trading guns with my buddy but then he might have beat me in number of birds. LOL