I hate public land! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > I hate public land!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
It doesnt make any sense. Most states control the hunt through the ammount of tags issued not really through the time of the hunt.

I would suggest contacting your state senator or rep. Explain how dangerous the short season is and hiw its better on an economic level for the state to have a longer season and control theharvest by thetags issued.

Contacting the dnr for anything is about as useless as contacting eric holder and asking him to stop selling guns to criminals...
That sounds good! while I'm at it I'l also tell him about the 6 8 years wait on black bear tags!

Old 11-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #22
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Yeah, The IN NRC (nartural rescources commision) tried to shorten our season to 9 days here to.( along with a ton of other new rules) A total of 1 weekend. Basically screwing the gun hunters and giving the prime hunting time to bow hunters (a total of 8 or 9 weeks for archery) Its all about the big monied outfitters coming in and/or Insurance companies taking control of our heritage.

I fired up my poison keyboard and piece by piece tore down why their proposals WOULD NOT WORK, then explained what WOULD work to accomplish their goals....i'll be damned if they didnt adopt and make law (starting 2012) every one of my proposals save 2. (one was lowering the price on tags i KNEW that wouldnt fly) I guess all my time in the field and studying wildlife biology did pay off a bit...too bad i cant get one of those cushy gubmint jobs in the DNR or NRC!

MI needs to really revamp the way they work their deer season...but it wont happen because it in the hands of the voters and NOT a group like our NRC.

I dont know how WI is controled, but they basically took the gun season out of the rut and gave it to the bow hunters and flat out screwed the gun hunters in the name of "quality herd management"

Its become a sick and sad fact that our heritage (hunting) has become a past time for the rich. Just another way for the Govt to take over and do away with the 2nd. If less kids learn the love for the outdoors and hunting, less kids learn the passion for guns, then have "no need" for guns and wont care when the rights are stripped away.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Last edited by fmj; 11-20-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wisconsin is alot more frindley to bow hunters thats for sure they can start hunting in late August!.If you ask me the DNR needs to GET RID of the dead wood in the office.I should cut and paste the emile they sent me.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #24

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101
Wisconsin is alot more frindley to bow hunters thats for sure they can start hunting in late August!.If you ask me the DNR needs to GET RID of the dead wood in the office.I should cut and paste the emile they sent me.
Please do, we'd like to see it.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #25

Liked 1464 Times on 886 Posts
Likes Given: 339

There is enough National Forrest and State lands where I live as to be able to get a place to yourself. The deer are so plentiful here I can shoot them off my back porch. (legally) Now if I could only get them to dress themselves and crawl in the freezer.

I drive to work before daylight and I am always in danger of running over one until I get to the interstate. I rarely make it the first six miles without seeing at least one. My wife has hit three of the damn things in the last ten years.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1203 Times on 672 Posts
Likes Given: 500

The Sportsman's Paradise controls the number of hunters by selling you six tags, 3 antlered + 3 antlerless, when you purchase your big game license.

Most southern states have similar game laws. Although there are some public areas controlled by lottery drawings, much public land is open access.

However having 79 days of rifle season helps spread things out a bit.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The DNR has looked into extending the traditional 9-day gun deer hunt, especially in areas where the deer herd is consistently above population goals. These efforts were strongly rejected by the hunting community because it took away the long-standing traditions of the gun deer hunt. There are, however, several special hunts throughout the fall season in which you can hunt with a gun. In the CWD Management Zone in southern Wisconsin , there are the October and December antlerless-only hunts, the holiday hunt, and the landowner hunt in which you can obtain permission from a private landowner to hunt on their land from early January until the end of March. Outside of the CWD Management Zone, you would be able to participate in the December antlerless-only hunt.

If you would like additional opportunities to hunt deer with a firearm than the hunts I mentioned above, you could participate in the agricultural damage program. Farmers who are having their crops damaged by deer, for example, are provided with additional permits to harvest the particular species causing the damage, to hopefully reduce the amount of crop damage incurred. These permits may be used outside of the traditional 9-day gun deer season and the farmer may choose to allow other hunters to make use of the permits. Additional information about the agricultural damage program, including a list of farmers who have received deer damage shooting permits, can be found here: WDNR - Wisconsin's Wildlife Damage Program.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1203 Times on 672 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
If you would like additional opportunities to hunt deer with a firearm than the hunts I mentioned above, you could participate in the agricultural damage program. Farmers who are having their crops damaged by deer, for example, are provided with additional permits to harvest the particular species causing the damage, to hopefully reduce the amount of crop damage incurred. These permits may be used outside of the traditional 9-day gun deer season and the farmer may choose to allow other hunters to make use of the permits. Additional information about the agricultural damage program, including a list of farmers who have received deer damage shooting permits, can be found here: WDNR - Wisconsin's Wildlife Damage Program.
Good luck finding a farmer that has not already allocated his crop damage tags to his buddies.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Good luck finding a farmer that has not already allocated his crop damage tags to his buddies.
Well thats the Wis.DNR for you with their HEADS IN THE SAND!

Old 11-23-2011, 02:52 AM   #30

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Yeah, The IN NRC (nartural rescources commision) tried to shorten our season to 9 days here to.( along with a ton of other new rules) A total of 1 weekend. Basically screwing the gun hunters and giving the prime hunting time to bow hunters (a total of 8 or 9 weeks for archery) Its all about the big monied outfitters coming in and/or Insurance companies taking control of our heritage.

I fired up my poison keyboard and piece by piece tore down why their proposals WOULD NOT WORK, then explained what WOULD work to accomplish their goals....i'll be damned if they didnt adopt and make law (starting 2012) every one of my proposals save 2. (one was lowering the price on tags i KNEW that wouldnt fly) I guess all my time in the field and studying wildlife biology did pay off a bit...too bad i cant get one of those cushy gubmint jobs in the DNR or NRC!

MI needs to really revamp the way they work their deer season...but it wont happen because it in the hands of the voters and NOT a group like our NRC.

I dont know how WI is controled, but they basically took the gun season out of the rut and gave it to the bow hunters and flat out screwed the gun hunters in the name of "quality herd management"

Its become a sick and sad fact that our heritage (hunting) has become a past time for the rich. Just another way for the Govt to take over and do away with the 2nd. If less kids learn the love for the outdoors and hunting, less kids learn the passion for guns, then have "no need" for guns and wont care when the rights are stripped away.
Wow! I pity you guys. We have a 4 month big game season here. No restrictions on firearms except that the bullet be sp and 100gr or larger. We have some 300,000 sq km that anyone can hunt on. It is rare to ever see another hunter once you get off the road. The last time I even saw a conservation officer was 2002.

Be careful who's toes you step on today....'cause they could be connected to the a** you need to kiss tomorrow.