I hate public land! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > I hate public land!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I know the feeling. I quit hunting because I did not have access to private land and the public land was too dangerous. The last time out I got shot at twice and had to duck behind a tree. I was really getting tempted to shoot back so I stopped hunting. One idiot shot his own horse and it was wearing a blaze orange saddle blanket. Some of the "hunters" were so drunk they could barely walk.
Yep, waiting in line in the morning to check in you could smell the whiskey on the hill jacks....a group bragging loud and proud about how they had been up all night and "killed that bottle dead"..staggering around with 12 guage shotguns loaded with slugs...if i cant find private ground i will be quiting hunting!

Actually i have property in the UP of MI. But being a non resident my tags are $138+....then add in the gas for the 500 mile, 1 way, trip. Gets expensive for the chance at a buck only, gamey tasting deer. Then toss in trying to start a youngin' and living a week or two in a tent in Mid Nov. In Northern MI.......

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #12

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I've hunted public land in several states and other than a very few "bad" days it was good hunting. I think its great that we all have the public land to hunt on. I must admit that I've never hunted in the eastern US.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:52 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

your braver than to set out on publice land during wisconsin gun season!! the season is only 9 days so the nuts round here shoot at the slightest leaf quivering in the breeze. the rule is shoot it and hope its not a person...

if they decreased the number of deer tags and increased the length of the season it would be a LOT safer.

there wouldnt be that pressure to shoot first and confirm the target later

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #14
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7382 Times on 4438 Posts
Likes Given: 9133

Quote:
One idiot shot his own horse and it was wearing a blaze orange saddle blanket. Some of the "hunters" were so drunk they could barely walk.
Yeah, that would worry me. The ones who are there to party AND hunt. when I had a horse, I never rode her during the hunting season.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:02 AM   #15
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1958 Times on 1139 Posts
Likes Given: 4135

Quote:
I know the feeling. I quit hunting because I did not have access to private land and the public land was too dangerous. The last time out I got shot at twice and had to duck behind a tree. I was really getting tempted to shoot back so I stopped hunting. One idiot shot his own horse and it was wearing a blaze orange saddle blanket. Some of the "hunters" were so drunk they could barely walk.
I had some co-workers that went on a hunt, never talked about the hunt more of the beer they drank at the campsite.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
Went out today for Wis.deer hunting and after I set up my deer blind about an hour later a group of guys walk by with dogs well one of the dog started barking and and almost knocked down my blind! - and other were walking by the field 200 yard out! in the field I was hunting even if there were deer there they wouldnt be after that! people just dont have any RESPECT its all about them and their deer forget you..
Yea! Bambi lives another day!

Old 11-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #17

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

so...you can have dogs while deer hunting in Wisconsin?

Old 11-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
so...you can have dogs while deer hunting in Wisconsin?
I dont think so the people with the dogs were hunting phesants.Now you can use dogs for tracking bear here.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
your braver than to set out on publice land during wisconsin gun season!! the season is only 9 days so the nuts round here shoot at the slightest leaf quivering in the breeze. the rule is shoot it and hope its not a person...

if they decreased the number of deer tags and increased the length of the season it would be a LOT safer.

there wouldnt be that pressure to shoot first and confirm the target later
I emiled the DNR here about the short 9 day gun season to change to it to something like what Michigan has when I lived there it was 14 days I think.

But the DNR in Wis. thinks its fair on the 9 days she told me in the email you have three day in Oct.to hunt in the CWD area 13-16 then again Dec.8 - 11
thats their reasoning on the matter.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
I emiled the DNR here about the short 9 day gun season to change to it to something like what Michigan has when I lived there it was 14 days I think.

But the DNR in Wis. thinks its fair on the 9 days she told me in the email you have three day in Oct.to hunt in the CWD area 13-16 then again Dec.8 - 11
thats their reasoning on the matter.
It doesnt make any sense. Most states control the hunt through the ammount of tags issued not really through the time of the hunt.

I would suggest contacting your state senator or rep. Explain how dangerous the short season is and hiw its better on an economic level for the state to have a longer season and control theharvest by thetags issued.

Contacting the dnr for anything is about as useless as contacting eric holder and asking him to stop selling guns to criminals...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...